AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by a local A/V store this afternoon and they had just started carrying Athena speakers. I just had a few minutes so I didn't do any critical listenting (actually, I was just interested in prices-I am coming back Thursday with some of my CDs). I am looking for new speakers but this is one brand I was not familiar with. The salesman seemed to like them (of course he was trying to sell them). I listened to a pair of floor standing speakers (with unfamiliar music) and wasn't really impressed with the sound. The list price of the speakers was around $600 per pair. Is anybody familiar with these speakers? I'll go back Thursday and compare them to the other brands the store carries (Paradigm, DefTec and M&K).

I'd just like the opinion of someone who is familiar with these speakers

(I believe the model I listened to was something like ASF2). If they are quality speakers (and I like the way they sound after more listening) that price per pair would be an exceptional value.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm curious as well. I've seen them advertised in the trade mags for a long time, and they look pretty nice, but you never hear anyone talk about them. They look like they ought to cost more than $600.00 though. Hows the build quality?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Athena is made by API (Mirage, Energy and Athena) I have a pair of S3 P3 combos which I enjoy a lot, they are in Stereophile April 2002 recommended components list if that means anything to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure of the build guality. I posted here hoping someone had some experience with the floor standing models. They looked good and I would have guessed a much higher price than $600. I went to the web site but it

wasn't very informative. Since Athena speakers are made by the same company that makes Energy speakers, I'm wondering if Athena is just a budget line of speakers with some corners cut in the area of cost savings.

I am going back Thursday with some of my cds and do some critical listening and comparison to other brands. The price is good but not if you are getting an inferior speaker. My budget is in the $1500 dollar range, so

I think I will stick with a more well known brand (right now the front runners are Paradigm, PSB and Monitor Audio.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Are you looking for other speaker suggestions in that price range?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
SD493,

$600 is considered a budget speaker??? In my book anything under $200 is a budget speaker. I've read some positive reviews about Athena speakers, one of which you can read about here... http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/athena_s2p2.htm. Seems like they are very good speakers that offer good value. I haven't heard them so I can't say for sure but since Athena is owned by the parent company of Mirage and Energy, I'm sure that the speakers should be good quality. It'll be a matter of whether you like the sound or not. If you like them regardless of price then you'll have scored yourself an awesome deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess budget was the wrong word, but when you consider that $600 is

for the top speaker in this line (there are only two floor standing models)

it might be appropriate. Budget doesn't have to mean poor quality, it could be a very good speaker and a very good value. Anyway, I've set aside Thursday as my "listening day" and I'll let my ears be the judge. I don't think this particular dealer would carry a line if it was't of good quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a pair of AS-B1s. They costed me 200 dollars Canadian (about 135 USD). The build quality is exellent (very exellent for a speaker this cheap) and they look pretty killer for a speaker at this price especially with the grills off. Both the speakers together are about 30 pounds and the contruction is really solid; it hard as a rock. Sound quality wise they are better then the Paradigm Atoms with a very nuetral soundstage. Did I say the build quality is exellent??? I think I did. :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just an update. I listened to the Athena speaker today (this was the top

of their Audition line (floorstander). (This was not their modular system.)

I wasn't impressed. The sound seemed very lean with not much presence.

The soundstage was okay but not great. (I was using my CDs.) (Somebody else may listen and get the exact opposite impression.) I ended up with a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9s. These are great sounding speakers and at a very good price. I had listened to a pair of Monitor Audio speakers ($2000 a pair) and I really liked them. Also the appearance of these speakers is stunning. However, they didn't sound that much better than the Paradigms to me and I could not justify spending a good bit more for a little better sound and great looks. Although I've only had my Paradigms hooked up for a few hours, I am very happy with them so far (they didn't have the matching center channel in stock so it is on order).

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Right on! What's important is what YOU hear from a speaker. Paradigms are very good so I'm glad you got what you like! Rock on!

·
Registered
200 Posts
If anyone is interested, Widescreen Review gave a very positive review for an Anthem System in December's issue.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't know much about the Audition or SCT lines, but I have the Athena Point 5 system (paid about $550) and am very happy with it. The little P.5 subwoofer actually puts out quite a bit of low-end bass for the price and the range of the S.5's is definitely adequate for watching movies and casual music listening. This is a nice, affordable starter system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey CSV

Would you mind sharing where you found your Athena point 5 system for $550? Haven't started looking around yet, still trying to decide if this is my starter kit, lol......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.