AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to be getting the Point 5 MKII Speaker Setup ($200) and I'm having a hard time deciding between sub's. I could get the Athena SUB 8 100watt 8" ($130), the Athena AS-4000 10" 100watt ($300!) or the Athena AS-6000 12" 400Watt ($230). The room size is approx. 10x12 so its not very big. The Reciever will more than likely either be the Kenwood VR9060 ($270), Yamaha HTR-5850 ($280) or the Pioneer VSX-815-S ($300). I'm also open to other brand's Subs also if anyone has any suggestions. ANy help is apreciated.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I have never been all that impressed with Athena subs. I haven't heard one but I did review their specs. I think you would have a better choice in that price range if you looked at subs like the Acoustech H-100,($249.00) HSU STF-1($299.00) or the new Outlaw Audio LFM-2 ($299.00) They would all perform well in that size room.

Ian

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't know about the new down-firing AS-Pxxxx series, but the AS-P400 was a very good sub for the money. I would try the AS-P4000. It should be fine for your room.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i personally think the P400 is horrible. i thought the Dayton 10" sounded much better, for about half the price, when i tested both of them with my system a few months ago. i've never tired the P4000, since the P400 left a bad taste in my mouth, but i would say go with the P6000 if you're going to use any subwoofer from Athena. it has a larger driver, a better Bash amplifier, and you can find it for less than $300 new in the box and shipped on eBay. otherwise, do with the Dayton 10" or 12", you won't be sorry...

·
Registered
28,957 Posts
Get the Dayton 10" while its on sale for under $100. I've got one and am very pleased. If you want a 12", the new Dayton is about $35 more.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualSlash
I'm probably going to be getting the Point 5 MKII Speaker Setup ($200) and I'm having a hard time deciding between sub's. I could get the Athena SUB 8 100watt 8" ($130), the Athena AS-4000 10" 100watt ($300!) or the Athena AS-6000 12" 400Watt ($230). The room size is approx. 10x12 so its not very big. The Reciever will more than likely either be the Kenwood VR9060 ($270), Yamaha HTR-5850 ($280) or the Pioneer VSX-815-S ($300). I'm also open to other brand's Subs also if anyone has any suggestions. ANy help is apreciated.

As for these speakers. I owned some. Those recivers are more then what you need. I pushed my point5's w/ my old avr125 and then sold it and used a Panny XR50 which this great job. Since you seem not to really want to spend much on speakers, maybe getting a less $$$ amp is what you need. A better low budget setup :)

I had those speakers and they were really nice. I actually miss them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am using an Athena asp6000 sub with a Yamaha 2500 and F1, asc1 front and they really puts out a strong well defined bass. I tried the old p400 and it seemed weak as far as output but again very well defined for music. I assumed by the specs that the new asp4000 was the same hardware in a different case but this is only a guess. The 12 inch sub shakes the house with a 3 out of 10 on its volume scale. It mates very well with the F1s. After having it for a month I am still very pleased with it.

James

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Very good to know about the AS-P6000. With Energy and Mirage in the Athena lineage, it's no surprise that they build good subs.

I too found that the AS-P400 was a surprisingly musical sub, but some don't like it because it isn't JBL boomy. I found it to be plenty for my HT listening, but I do have a small room, and I prefer accurate bass vs. a fat bottom (sub, that is).

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly
Very good to know about the AS-P6000. With Energy and Mirage in the Athena lineage, it's no surprise that they build good subs.

I too found that the AS-P400 was a surprisingly musical sub, but some don't like it because it isn't JBL boomy. I found it to be plenty for my HT listening, but I do have a small room, and I prefer accurate bass vs. a fat bottom (sub, that is).
I agree with that analogy, that is why I like my Velodyne. It may not be a powerhouse but it is very clean, linear and produces plenty of punch in a small room. However if I were to spend $3 to $400.00 on a sub I would rather go direct and get the best bang for my buck with a company like HSU.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went to Best Buy today and auditioned the Athena 10" Sub and I came away very under-whelmed with the $300 Sub. It didnt sound bad persay but it seemed like it was just forcing the boom out and didnt sound natural at all. This was really clear when I played Finger Eleven - One Thing on it, It just seemed...."bleh". I also noticed when I turned it down it was pretty much horrible. I'm leaning towards the Dayton 12" right now seeing as the 10" gets Rave Reviews and both are good value buys or the Acoustech H-100 but I'm open to other Suggestions.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
I have never been all that impressed with Athena subs. I haven't heard one
How can you not be impressed with something you've never heard?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1
How can you not be impressed with something you've never heard?
> I believe that statement was simply in reference to the specs.

"I have never been all that impressed with Athena subs. I haven't heard one but I did review their specs. "

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly

Quote:
I agree with that analogy, that is why I like my Velodyne. It may not be a powerhouse but it is very clean, linear and produces plenty of punch in a small room. However if I were to spend $3 to $400.00 on a sub I would rather go direct and get the best bang for my buck with a company like HSU.

Ian ;)
I have a smallish room (11x14) and find the Athena P400 fine for my needs. For $120 on sale it was well worth it. I played around with the Avia disc and found that it would play down to about 26-28 hz before falling off. That is perfectly fine for my current home theater need. Actually, I'm finding the more play time it gets, the better it sounds. I'm happy and in the end, that's all that really counts. :cool:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe
I have a smallish room (11x14) and find the Athena P400 fine for my needs. For $120 on sale it was well worth it. I played around with the Avia disc and found that it would play down to about 26-28 hz before falling off. That is perfectly fine for my current home theater need. Actually, I'm finding the more play time it gets, the better it sounds. I'm happy and in the end, that's all that really counts. :cool:
I agree. And for that price I wouldn't complain. By the way did anyone ever tell you that you're a dead ringer for Ian Mcshane? :D

Ian

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:
I agree. And for that price I wouldn't complain. By the way did anyone ever tell you that you're a dead ringer for Ian Mcshane? :D

Ian
:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualSlash
I personally found the AS-P400 (not P-4000) to be quite a nice sounding musical sub, with an extension to around 30Hz. It mated well with the Point.5 speakers, although it was not a good match with the Athena AS-F2s (lack of really low bass). The power of the AS-P400 was up to par and beyond what the Point.5 could output.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.