Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a HTPC.

I have an Athlon 600 chip and board if I add a Radeon VE would this baby push DVD ok?

I also will get a wintv pci card that I hope will work with Dscaler.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can't really say for sure as I have not tested it, but:

-A friend uses a Celeron 600 (or so) with no problems.

-My Athlon 900 HTPC breezes through all I ask.

So I would guess an Athlon 600 would be fine.

If you are worried, upgrades are dirt cheap these days.

jeff

·
Registered
533 Posts
One of my two HTPC systems is primarily an audio test computer; it uses a 600 MHz SLOT A Athlon with a early ASUS MB with the AMD chipset; it has an ISA slot, which is why it is used for Audio Test with an Audiomatica CLIO board.

It is equipped with a Radeon 64 DDR board (it was in stock in Best Buy that day), and a Philips Acoustic Edge sound card.

I'm currently using the Ravisent Cineplayer 4 DVD player software; it has slightly better picture quality than the ATI player, and some disks which the ATI wouldn't read (Mission to Mars, for example), read and play just fine on this player. Normal use is full screen DVD scaled to 1280X720. Plenty of horsepower for this application, and currently this is the most stutter and glitch free player I have put together, considering it's received no system tweaking (the others, ATI and WINDVD, settled down after some system tweaks). This system has overall better performance than my other HTPC, a 900 MHz Athlon with MAudio 24/96 cards, a Radeon 32MB DDR board, running the ATI player. Difference is the player software, I think.

All my HTPC systems run WIN98SE; only desktops are running WIN2K and XP.

Now, a caveat- many other users report problems with the Cineplayer 4.0; audio sync issues, stuttering, etc. This hasn't happend on my system- it's been essentially flawless.

The Ravisent player is only available from their web site, and it is copy protected, with a product activation scheme similar to Windows XP. I've run into this "innovation" with several pieces of new software; I'm starting to find that quite irritating. The previous generation of Ravisent code are the codecs/filters for Matrox and ATI players.

I'm waiting for availability of the Theater Tek player to evaluate it on my other HTPC system, which is a 900 MHz Athlon, on an ABIT KT7 MB. This may be the ultimate way to go, though we're hearing good things about PowerDVD 4.0, which is good, since I've setup several friends with it. (It's robust and less glitchy than the ATI player, but older versions couldn't match ATI for picture quality.)

Bottom line- a 600 MHz Athlon can make a very good DVD player with the right supporting components.

Regards,

Jon

·
Registered
90 Posts
You should have no problem with that CPU... and as someone stated, you can get a 900mhz chip for

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had an Athlon750 based system, and DVD was just fine (with PowerDVD - the ATI player was never stable.

I did need to upgrade the motherboard BIOS, and use updated VIA drivers (if you have a VIA chipset MOBO) before it all worked well.

The only thing I couldn't do was record TV at full res using AIW and ATI's TV player.

I upgraded to an Athlon 1.2G with DDR memory, now it records just fine, but I did notice that pans on DVD and on TV were smoother with the faster CPU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.