AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to run across an ATI 1505 amplifier for sale for under $1000 Canadian....I'm not 100% sure if this is the way to go since I've tried a Rotel and an Anthem amp and couldnt justify the $$$ for the sound improvement (albeit very minimal). I would like to go seperates down the road so I suppose this would be a start....also can anyone give some measurements of this amp; my stand is not that big and considering that everyone says that the ATI is a behemoth, it might not even fit.

Check the link for current specs. Thanx

Yosh70

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
When I tried one a few years back it was standard 17 inch wide, because that was one of the changes from the 1506 which was 19 inch and so woudn't fit in a normal rack. It was about as deep as a Denon 5600 which is not overly deep, and was about 8 inches tall.

It will fit in a normal rack.

One more thing, Anthem wasn't around when I tried teh ATI, but I also tried the Rotel when I bought that ATi, and I found the ATI a completely higher class tehn Rotel in quality and it had incredible 3db of headroom, which is very rare for am amp in that class. They can be had for 1450 new on a good price, and have a 7 year warranty, and are completely modular so If a channel goes out, you call, give them a credit card deposit and they send you a new channel and then you send back the bad one, and then they give the credit back for the channel they loaned you in transit. If you liked Rotel are are thinking this is lower, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and it is also very open and neutral on music, and I found this to be the best in that regard over like 6 other similar priced amps at the time.

All that said, it weights a whopping 73 pounds, feels even heavier then that for some odd reason. It doesn't get very hot either, but it is one of those that you have to turn the pre amp off first because it carriers so much fricken juice the speakers will continue to play for another 20 second after you turn it off.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have an ATI 2505. Great amp. You should take comments about "bright, forward, laid back", or any nondescript term when it comes to competent transistor amps with a grain of salt. In the past month I have had a Parasound, Proceed, and an ATI amp in my system with no audible differences. However, my speakers and pre/pros changes are a totally different story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.