AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using my pc to play videos on my Sony KDL-40V400 via hdmi using ATI Catalyst 11.7 drivers. However, I cannot get 24p/24Hz working properly. The problem is it stutters and I get screen tearing in everything I play (blu-rays). I have tried setting it to 23Hz as there is an option to use it, and it does the same.

Is there a solution/fix for this or something I have missed?

thanks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiK /forum/post/20860982

I'm using my pc to play videos on my Sony KDL-40V400 via hdmi using ATI Catalyst 11.7 drivers. However, I cannot get 24p/24Hz working properly. The problem is it stutters and I get screen tearing in everything I play (blu-rays). I have tried setting it to 23Hz as there is an option to use it, and it does the same.

thanks

I didn't think that TV accepted native 24p...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does. It's listed on the specs (one of the reasons I bought the TV back when it came out) and it has no problem playing 24p content from my PS3 or HD-DVD player at 24Hz.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
what video player are you using?

try MPC HC with EVR renderer, or madVR renderer.

also try reclock to reduce stutters.

google should find them easily. i'm too tired to find them right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No difference in renderer. I tried what you said, as well as other software players and still no difference. The player I was trying before was PowerDVD 10, with ATI AVIVO enabled of course (tried it disabled as well).

Could this be more to do with ATI drivers not setting the correct Hz? Could it be something stupid like it needing to be 23.97Hz/23.98Hz and how would I go about setting that?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiK /forum/post/20862847

No difference in renderer. I tried what you said, as well as other software players and still no difference. The player I was trying before was PowerDVD 10, with ATI AVIVO enabled of course (tried it disabled as well).

Could this be more to do with ATI drivers not setting the correct Hz? Could it be something stupid like it needing to be 23.97Hz/23.98Hz and how would I go about setting that?

madVR's stats window (ctrl+j) as well as reclock (properties page when a video is playing) displays the true refresh rate. ATI is usually fairly close to the target 23.976 using the 23Hz option. My 5570 is 23.977 and my old 5450 was 23.975.

What version of windows are you using? If you're using Windows 7, EVR CP shouldn't have tearing if Aero peak/view/desktop composition is enabled. madVR in exclusive mode (fullscreen) shouldn't have tearing either.

If you're using windows 7 starter or vista basic (which doesn't have aero peak) then try EVR CP with alternative vsync. In MPC HC, right click the screen -> renderer settings -> vsync -> alterantive vsync; then adjust the offset using ctrl+alt+up/down until you don't see any tearing. To see tear lines easier, open up the EVR stats window (right click -> renderer settings - > display stats).

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have a radeon 6570 and in CCC it shows the option to switch the refresh rate to 23 hz if you turn GPU scaling off but when you apply the setting, the tv flickers and sets itself to 24 hz. my guess is that most tvs including mine are going to show 24 hz no matter what because its rounding up. my LG 55LE8500 reports 1080/24 hz on the info. Try MPC-HC along with ReClock and LAV splitter( if you want to bitstream audio). Thats what i am using now. TMT5 had the annoying stuttering issue i simply could not make go away so i got rid of it. i have to manually set my resolution to 24 hz from 60 hz for now until i figure out an easier solution but at least now im able to watch blu-ray disc, blu-ray folder, or blu-ray mkv without the stuttering.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Do you have AnyDVD-HD? In it's settings you can use SetDisplayFrequency to switch to whatever refresh rate you want when inserting a disk or loading and .iso for DVD or BD. It works perfectly for me with PDVD11.

Also, since you're using MPC-HC for file playback, if you use MadVR you can have it automatically set the refresh rate for playback too. Again it works perfectly for me.

My last remaining problem is getting ATI to show as 23Hz refresh rate. It only shows 24Hz for me, turning GPU scaling or ITC on or off makes no difference. It's driving me crazy why I can't get 23Hz, especially since I have all the software in place to switch to it for files and disk.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm sure when I first added an ATI card I had to add the 1080p/24 mode from CCC\\My Digital Flat Panels\\HDTV Support - adding this 1080p/24 format to the Display Manager (HD) option provided me on restart with the 23Hz option.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My problem is slightly different. When I set my ATI to 23Hz, everything starts fine on TMT 3, but after a while (30min or so) I start to see stuttering and it gets worse and worse. When I pause and restart, I get another 30 min. Rinse and repeat.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_1ab /forum/post/20867179

i have a radeon 6570 and in CCC it shows the option to switch the refresh rate to 23 hz if you turn GPU scaling off but when you apply the setting, the tv flickers and sets itself to 24 hz. my guess is that most tvs including mine are going to show 24 hz no matter what because its rounding up. my LG 55LE8500 reports 1080/24 hz on the info. Try MPC-HC along with ReClock and LAV splitter( if you want to bitstream audio). Thats what i am using now. TMT5 had the annoying stuttering issue i simply could not make go away so i got rid of it. i have to manually set my resolution to 24 hz from 60 hz for now until i figure out an easier solution but at least now im able to watch blu-ray disc, blu-ray folder, or blu-ray mkv without the stuttering.

This is the first hint I've seen of anyone with a similar problem to mine. Briefly, I have a Core i7 rig, SSD, AMD 6990, and a Panasonic TH-58PZ850U plasma. I use ANYDVD-HD to rip Blu Ray, and TMT5 for playback (usually with the Media Center for Win 7 add-in). Recently (sometime in the last 4 weeks) I've started to get "stuttering" or "stalling" on the video, although there is no audio interruptions. I won't bore you with all the things I've done which served only to screw things up further.

Yesterday, while trying to apply some "science" I was methodically going through trying different things, when I noticed that this "stutter" is ONLY on the plasma, doesn't occur on my 24" monitor (1920x1200).

Today, I used the "list all modes" capability in the diplay driver to set 1920x1080 23 Hz, and magically, no more stuttering. Fantastic, except F*^%$ing TMT5 resets the display frequency a) when it starts a movie, and b) with each preview, and c) again when it finishes.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

I should add I've exhaustively eliminated CPU/RAM/Hard Disk/Blu-Ray Drive/Cables from the mix

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my new LG LW6500 1080p LED TV.

TMT 5 Switched my bluray playback to 1080/24p and then it all goest to hell. Every 15-20 seconds I get a jerk in the video (audio is fine) like it's trying to "catch up".

ATI 5570 - Clean OS install last night with latest MS/ATI/TMT updates.

1080/60p playback is fine from MediaCenter - But TMT5 BD Playback isn't good at all right now & I'm wishing I still had my 720 plasma back!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osburnfamily /forum/post/0

I'm in the same boat with my new LG LW6500 1080p LED TV.

TMT 5 Switched my bluray playback to 1080/24p and then it all goest to hell. Every 15-20 seconds I get a jerk in the video (audio is fine) like it's trying to "catch up".

ATI 5570 - Clean OS install last night with latest MS/ATI/TMT updates.

1080/60p playback is fine from MediaCenter - But TMT5 BD Playback isn't good at all right now & I'm wishing I still had my 720 plasma back!

There's some good news - Arcsoft are currently beta testing a fix for automatically switching between 24 and 60 Hz, and from comments by their techies, have already seen the requirement to permit you to specify 23 vs 24 ( that's paraphrasing the actual comments). I encourage you to report the problem to Arcsoft, who so far, unusually in this product space, seem to a) actually listen to complaints, and b) do something about them (eventually). If I discover anything else on this I'll report it here.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiK /forum/post/20860982

thanks

Have you tried updating the driver? Latest is 11.9

Here's the link for you to download the same [URL='http://support.amd.com/US/GP...pport.amd.com/US/GPUDOWNLOAD/Pages/index.aspx

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiK /forum/post/20862847

Alls I can say is: I have a Zacate (Radeon 6310) and 11.8 drivers. I don't have such issues.

My TV is Samsung LN40C630.

In Catalyst, 23HZ = 23.976; 24HZ = 24.

Are you using drivers from AMD.com or from your video card MFG? Try 11.8 and or 11.9 from amd.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.