AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using on-board 780g AMD graphics for a while and had a great HD picture quality on Panasonic plasma. I decided to upgrade to XPS-5670 board, to speed up gaming, but the factory-default video PQ on the 5670 look very pale and bleak, like a budget LCD of old days. I did not change the driver or anything. I tried playing around with brightness/contrast in catalyst, but could not get as good PQ as with on-board chip. Is there something wrong with the board itself, or I need o use some tuning procedure? I'm using DVI->HDMI cable for both boards.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
You should always change the driver when installing a new card. Ati=>Ati or not. Not saying it will for sure fix it. But thats the first thing to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/19630403

You should always change the driver when installing a new card. Ati=>Ati or not. Not saying it will for sure fix it. But thats the first thing to do.

I don't understand what do you mean by "change the driver". I have the latest catalyst v. 10.11. Change it to what?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The default ATI settings from 10.7 and up are messed up. Disable those "image enhancement" settings like Flesh Tone correction and most importantly, Dynamic Contrast.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleV /forum/post/19630503

I don't understand what do you mean by "change the driver". I have the latest catalyst v. 10.11. Change it to what?

u might want to use driver sweeper and then update your driver. or if you are running surround view you still want to download this driver....

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-32.aspx

the onboard igp drivers are different than the discrete gpu drivers.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez /forum/post/19630526

The default ATI settings from 10.7 and up are messed up. Disable those "image enhancement" settings like Flesh Tone correction and most importantly, Dynamic Contrast.

thanks for this. immediate improvement on my setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:

Thanks, that seems to help quite a bit, although the PQ is still kind of "flat". I noticed that 3200 does not seems to have as many "enhancement" options.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:

Where do you change those? On my CCC, I don't see any of those options...

·
Registered
819 Posts
Some of these are under Video - All settings. I don't know where Pixel Format is now, in the new CCC - switched to Nvidia on the HTPC - but should be under Desktops&Displays, right click on bottom icon of tv, Configure.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Also, try changing the Dinamic range to 0-255, that solves 99% of the washed out collor issues (i presume that was what you were talking about when you said "flat image")

1 - 12 of 12 Posts