AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new PCI Express video card that can support my old 1080i HDTV that only has component inputs.

Usage is playing DVD (upscale to 1080i), Mp4\\H.264\\VC-1 movies, and in the future BlueRay. The system is modest (2Ghz Athlon 64 X2) so I need the video card to do the video decoding.

Was looking at the passive HD4350 choices on NewEgg but couldn't find a single one that supported component output and came with the required component adapter\\cable. Checking the various vendor sites to determine what part to order has made me want to slit my wrists.
Not a single vendor sells (or even specifies) the required adapter.

So my question is if anyone else has been able to get component video out of a passive HD4350, and if so what adapter did you purchase?

I'm leaning towards this card and this adapter , but I would like to know they will work together before I place the order.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Why the 4350? Lots of other cards (especially 8000/9000 series nvidia) have the component dongle included. Unfortunately our older sets aren't supported very well by the newest cards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that the 4350 handled VC-1 (Netflix) much better. My machine is somewhat underpowered.

Which NVidia card would have comparable performance to the 4350? This 9500GT comes with an adapter. Thoughts?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Any graphic cards that I have purchased that support Component(HDTV-Out) have also come the correct dongle for supporting the 3 video component cables you need. For audio you can use a standard R&W stereo audio cable with an adapter to the minidin speaker output connection on your computer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18295970

Any graphic cards that I have purchased that support Component(HDTV-Out) have also come the correct dongle for supporting the 3 video component cables you need.

Well I can't find a single 4350 that does. Actually, I did find this card , and ordered it, but when I received it it turned out to be a totally different model that did not have the 7 pin TV output at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18295970

For audio you can use a standard R&W stereo audio cable with an adapter to the minidin speaker output connection on your computer.

My motherboard supports optical and coax SPDIF so I'm ok on the audio front.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
 This has HDTV-out support.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill /forum/post/18297054

This has HDTV-out support.

This card just comes with a simple SVideo cable (according to NewEgg). I contacted XFX trying to find out what adapter cable to purchase to support component HDTV output but never got a response.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ordered that exact card myself about 2 weeks ago, and used a dongle I had from an older card (Geforce 6600). Unfortunately it was a 9 pin, and this card needs the 7 pin adapter. Before I realized what was wrong, I asked XFX what the issue may be (thought maybe the card was defective). They responded saying that they would send me a 7 pin component adapter free of charge. Not sure when to expect it, but they dropped it in the mail on Monday.

Edit to add....XFX support is snail pace slow, but they were very helpful in their replies. Each reply took 2 business days, and of course nothing happens on the weekend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In a post in here somewhere that I stumbled into looking to see why my 4350 wasn't working, renethx made a statement that basically all svideo/hdtv out cards (the ones with the extra pins in what looks like an svideo port) since geforce 8XXX and Radeon 2XXX have supported component via the 7 pin dongle. I may be wrong on the precise starting point he stated, but it goes several generations back from where we are today. There is a lengthy thread about the support, or lack thereof through the DVI ports, and it appears very hit and miss as to what will work. I'd just run with getting a 7 pin adapter from someone on ebay (I got one for under $4 shipped before XFX got back to me), or see if the manufacturer will kindly ship you the pissing part.

FYI, the 4350 does a great job in general, but I recorded some OTA HDTV source material the other day and it was stuttering in playback. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 4670, as renethx also has made comments that the 4350 will bog down under some circumstances. My P4 3.4 GHz isn't the strongest support if the GPU gets overloaded.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Not all graphic cards implement the interfaces available with the graphic chips they are using the same chip such as the 4350. You have to get the information from the user's guide for the specifc make/model of graphics card you have or are intereted it getting. Some use a dongle connected to a 7 pin minidin connector and tothers us a dongle connected to DVI-I connector.

Normally if a card has a 7 pin minidin connector the dongle which normally comes with the card will connect to it. If the card has a separate VGA connector then very likly the dongle will connect to a DVI-I connector.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador /forum/post/18297246

I did some searching and looks like some people have gotten the ATi Dvi-Component adapter working with a 4670. Maybe someone can find more info about this.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have one from Monoprice and it works with a 4550 card perfectly. Now, you just have to wait for Monoprice to get their site running again, or just go to Amazon as they have them also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I would follow up with my final solution. I purchased this card from NewEgg, which only came with a SVideo cable in the box. Then I contacted XFX tech support via the support website. Within 24 hours they responded and agreed to send me both the component adapter cable and the HDMI output adapter. Both adapters and the card arrived on the same day and the installation went without a hitch. Now I can playback H.264 / VC-1 playback with 5-10% CPU utilization.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Davel

I am also trying to connect an older projector to my CRT that has component video input. Can you describe or show us what the component adapter looks like. Also, does it connect to the VGA connector? Would you recommend the 4350 video card after having lived with it for a little while.

Dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
 This is what the component adapter looks like. It connects to the 7 pin din connector on the card. I have had no issues whatsoever running this card with Win7 x64 @ 1080i output.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts