AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building my first HTPC and am having issues getting bit-streamed DD and DTS to my receiver over HDMI. I can get multichannel LPCM from the HDMI but I'd rather let the receiver decode regular DD and DTS. I've searched the net for hours and can't seem to find any info on this.


I've downloaded and installed the latest realtek drivers but that didn't seem to work. I've enable DD and DTS pass through in FFDshow..no go. There is no HDMI option available in the sound settings in the control panel which I think is odd. I can select up to 7.1 but not HDMI. In TMT if I select HDMI I get no sound at all.


The system in question is as follows:


XP Pro (32bit)

Asus based HP MB

Core 2 Duo 2.14

250G HDD

Diamond HD 4550 graphics card

DVD RW drive


Software:


TMT 3

FFDshow Tryouts


My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR807 with the latest FW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
to get my sound from my hdmi i had to disable the realtek onboard sound in the bios and then it would auto pickup my hdmi sound device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
I use spdifer with the following options: spdif passthrough: all checked, spdif/dts mode: auto, spdif/dts conversion: dts14, output spdif as pcm: not checked, restrict spdif sample rate: checked and 48 kHz checked also, force sound...not checked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So are you guys getting DD and DTS passed through over HDMI or multichannel PCM digital? I can get sound over HDMI just not a DD or DTS bitsream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still at a loss here. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe I should just pick up an Nvidia card that has the spdif connector on it for pass through instead?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I have a 4550 connected to my Onkyo 607 AVR. I use FFDshow for audio, and have the onboard sound disabled so the HDMI device is the only audio output. When I play back files that have AC3, the Dolby Digital sign lights up on my Onkyo, and the DTS light comes on when I'm outputting that. FLAC makes the multichannel PCM light up.


What is the audio format of the file (s) you are trying to play back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S /forum/post/18303696


XP Pro (32bit)

Asus based HP MB

Core 2 Duo 2.14

250G HDD

Diamond GD 4550 graphics card

DVD RW drive


Software:


TMT 3

FFDshow Tryouts


My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR807 with the latest FW.

I am inclined to think that XP is the problem here. The ATI drivers for XP may not be functioning correctly.

I would suggest uninstalling all drivers and filters, even ffdshow. Then download the latest CCC package from ATI and install only that. While installing, choose custom install and it should scan your system and list all the drivers that are installed/available. Make sure you check the HDMI driver.

Reboot after install even if it doesn't ask you to do so.

Next, go into sound panel and see if HDMI shows up.

If installed and working correctly, SPDIF & HDMI passthrough don't need any additional drivers or filters. It should simply work especially for DD & DTS.


Also, I would recommend upgrading to Windows 7, if you can get one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18309214


I am inclined to think that XP is the problem here. The ATI drivers for XP may not be functioning correctly.

I would suggest uninstalling all drivers and filters, even ffdshow. Then download the latest CCC package from ATI and install only that. While installing, choose custom install and it should scan your system and list all the drivers that are installed/available. Make sure you check the HDMI driver.

Reboot after install even if it doesn't ask you to do so.

Next, go into sound panel and see if HDMI shows up.

If installed and working correctly, SPDIF & HDMI passthrough don't need any additional drivers or filters. It should simply work especially for DD & DTS.


Also, I would recommend upgrading to Windows 7, if you can get one.

I'm about ready to pull what's left of my hair out at this point. I tried as you suggested and am still only getting analog over HDMI. The computer says the audio device is "ATI HD audio rear output". On board sound has been turned off in BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian1967 /forum/post/18309161


I have a 4550 connected to my Onkyo 607 AVR. I use FFDshow for audio, and have the onboard sound disabled so the HDMI device is the only audio output. When I play back files that have AC3, the Dolby Digital sign lights up on my Onkyo, and the DTS light comes on when I'm outputting that. FLAC makes the multichannel PCM light up.


What is the audio format of the file (s) you are trying to play back?

Just trying to get Dolby Digital to work at this point. I figure if that works then I know the receiver is getting a digital bitstream over HDMI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
So you did a clean install of Windows 7, followed by the latest Catalyst package, and then the Realtek HDMI device driver? Did you disable the onboard sound? It sounds like your computer thinks you have something plugged into the analog jacks for the onboard sound.


I have always found it easier to only have one audio output available, or Windows of whatever flavor can suddenly decide to use the one you don't want.


I have a Motorola DCT cable box also plugged into my Onkyo, and everything through that is broadcast in Dolby digital, so I can see that light up on the Onkyo then, something to try if you're not sure DD works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian1967 /forum/post/18313492


So you did a clean install of Windows 7, followed by the latest Catalyst package, and then the Realtek HDMI device driver? Did you disable the onboard sound? It sounds like your computer thinks you have something plugged into the analog jacks for the onboard sound.


I have always found it easier to only have one audio output available, or Windows of whatever flavor can suddenly decide to use the one you don't want.


I have a Motorola DCT cable box also plugged into my Onkyo, and everything through that is broadcast in Dolby digital, so I can see that light up on the Onkyo then, something to try if you're not sure DD works.

No I did not do a clean install of win7 but plan to tonight. I did not have a copy to install. I did not really want to spend the money on one either. However if that's what it's going to take then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one.


DD works with all my other HDMI devices including cable box and PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S /forum/post/18314327


No I did not do a clean install of win7 but plan to tonight. I did not have a copy to install. I did not really want to spend the money on one either. However if that's what it's going to take then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one.


DD works with all my other HDMI devices including cable box and PS3.

Win 7 will be a big improvement over XP for a HTPC.

You listed TMT3 as playback software; are you playing BDs or just DVDs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18314834


Win 7 will be a big improvement over XP for a HTPC.

You listed TMT3 as playback software; are you playing BDs or just DVDs?

This PC is a new aquisition (i.e. freebie). It had a bad video card which I replaced with the HD4550. Everything has been done with a fresh install of XP pro. The plan was to use it for playing various file types off a NAS or external USB HDD drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I think you're not going to have much luck getting things to work until you do upgrade to Win7. You can try the default Media Foundation codecs in 7MC, and only install Haali media splitter for MKV playback. This will enable you to get DXVA working with x264 content (but not VC1), which will help with 1080p content on a 2.14ghz cpu, and you can install FFDshow audio for DTS and DD sound.

You'll want to download the MCDU utility if you want to set the 7MC codecs to something other than the default.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian1967 /forum/post/18316190


I think you're not going to have much luck getting things to work until you do upgrade to Win7. You can try the default Media Foundation codecs in 7MC, and only install Haali media splitter for MKV playback. This will enable you to get DXVA working with x264 content (but not VC1), which will help with 1080p content on a 2.14ghz cpu, and you can install FFDshow audio for DTS and DD sound.

You'll want to download the MCDU utility if you want to set the 7MC codecs to something other than the default.

umm..no.

A fresh install of Win7 with just the ATI drivers will do everything.

A minimalistic approach is always best when working with PCs (or anything for that matter).

There is no call to introduce more variables if they are not needed. And Win7 with the drivers should work for what OP wants.

The HD4550 has ATI's UVD, it doesn't require anything else. All you need is S/W to take advantage of DXVA which TMT3 should.

Check if DD/DTS pass-through works. Then install other filters and applications and keep checking every step of the way for every new install. So if stops working, you know what messed it up.


Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18316286


umm..no.

A fresh install of Win7 with just the ATI drivers will do everything.

A minimalistic approach is always best when working with PCs (or anything for that matter).

There is no call to introduce more variables if they are not needed. And Win7 with the drivers should work for what OP wants.

The HD4550 has ATI's UVD, it doesn't require anything else. All you need is S/W to take advantage of DXVA which TMT3 should.

Check if DD/DTS pass-through works. Then install other filters and applications and keep checking every step of the way for every new install. So if stops working, you know what messed it up.


Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. I hope the Win7 install works. I'll post back the results after I get it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's 4AM here and after a fresh install of Windows 7 I am now getting DD over HMDI. But now I have a new problem. The Damn ATI CCC won't let me adjust the overscan on my Panny plasma. The option was there during intial set-up but now it's gone, I mean there's no configure option in the CCC. I needed to and was able to adjust the overscan in the CCC to 0% during initial set-up. For some reason though it has gone back to having a black border all the way around the screen. I had to manually adjust the scan rate to 60hz @ 1080p because for some crazy reason it was set to 30i! AMD really needs to get their head outta their butt! It's so freaking frustrating to have to deal with all these bugs.


Edit: I wonder if you set your display to 1080p the overscan option disappears? I'm too tired to mess with it anymore right now. Hopefully you guys will now what's going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, after a few hours sleep and a Google search I found how to re-adjust the under/over scan in the CCC. At this point it's looking good. I have yet to try Blu-ray and a few other file formats but standard DVD bit-streams DD and DTS!


Anyone know if it's possible to get the same quality of DVD up-conversion as say the Oppo from an HTPC? If so can it be done with the HD 4550 and software? Or would it require a higher end graphics card?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top