AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an ATI 5450 to bitstream HD audio for movies. It hadn't occurred to me till today that this would be a replacement for my Creative XtremeGamer Pro. The problem is I also play games on this machine through my 4870x2. So by using the 5450 am I going to get piss poor sound or will it bitstream even games?

If it won't bitstream games or if the sound is going to be poor, is there a way to use the Creative card for games and 5450 for movies?

Should I go with the Xonar HDAV1.3 since I am playing both games and movies?

My current setup is the 4870x2 to the TV and 3X3.5mm to 6 RCA from the Creative card to the receiver. With the 5450 in the mix the Creative card was going to be removed. The 4870x2 would still go directly to the TV and the 5450 would go to the receiver for audio.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric /forum/post/18204291

I am getting an ATI 5450 to bitstream HD audio for movies. It hadn't occurred to me till today that this would be a replacement for my Creative XtremeGamer Pro. The problem is I also play games on this machine through my 4870x2. So by using the 5450 am I going to get piss poor sound or will it bitstream even games?

If it won't bitstream games or if the sound is going to be poor, is there a way to use the Creative card for games and 5450 for movies?

Should I go with the Xonar HDAV1.3 since I am playing both games and movies?

My current setup is the 4870x2 to the TV and 3X3.5mm to 6 RCA from the Creative card to the receiver. With the 5450 in the mix the Creative card was going to be removed. The 4870x2 would still go directly to the TV and the 5450 would go to the receiver for audio.

That 5450 isnt meant for games, at least not according to this review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/ati-5450-5570

That 4870 is a more powerful card, if I understand the specs correctly. Going to a 5450 is a step backward (for gaming).

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Last day for $10 rebate at newegg.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno Crash /forum/post/18205267

That 5450 isnt meant for games, at least not according to this review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/ati-5450-5570

That 4870 is a more powerful card, if I understand the specs correctly. Going to a 5450 is a step backward (for gaming).

Oh, the video was going to be connected from the 4870x2 to my TV. The audio was going to be connected to my receiver from the 5450. The question was whether or not the 5450 could hand gaming audio well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/18205287

Last day for $10 rebate at newegg.

Rebate? Looked at the slim and didn't see a rebate.

I purchased from Amazon though with $3.99 overnight and a $15 coupon though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Xonar HDAV will be your best bet. It will do two things. It will support your HD audio for blu-ray and it will boost performance of your 4870s. You will want to use the included DVI-HDMI cable to go from your primary 4870 to your Xonar in. Then use HDMI to your receiver from the Xonar out. Be advised, the Xonar was developed for use with Arcsoft TMT and I believe it comes with a copy. Be sure to get the most current drivers for your 4870, ( 10.12 is out now), and your Xonar, and make sure Arcsoft is up to date. I personally use Xfired 4870s through an Auzen Tech XFHTHD since I use Power DVD 9 ultra. I have gained about 10-20fps in gaming, my blu-ray sound is great, plus since I stream a lot of movies and music, it up converts everything to 192k Dolby. It also comes with some great programs for remastering all of your audio cds and mp3.

Now if you want real performance, you will want to go with a 5800 series card. I plan on swapping out my two 4870s for one 5890. It will give me DX11, Eyefinity, and HD audio pass through. I will still keep my Auzentech for music though, or trade it for a Forte.

You dont want to use a video card as a sound card, you will just generate conflicts in the computer. If you really want to keep the 4870s for gaming, go with the Auzentech Hometheater card and it will add your HD audio and improve your 4870s performance. If you want a real upgrade, sell the 4870s and get a 5800 series card that will give you all you need and more.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Well if you add the 5450 you can probably set it up as a secondary monitor and sent it to the reciever while you send the 4870 straight to the display. Gaming audio is always done in software, unless it's an XFI and an EAX enabled game.

I think if you really want to add bitstreaming the best bet would be to ebay the 4870x2 and buy a 5850 wich is roughly the same speed, but has bit streaming.

If you get an HDAV 1.3, make sure you get the HDAV slim, since all you want is the bitstreaming audio and not the high-end DACs for analog.

The other option that for gaming would be the best, would be to go out and get an auzentech HDMI that has an xfi chip on it, wich would be the best thing for games (pure digital 7.1 w/ EAX 5).

So

$50 - 5450 caveat clunky dual monitor setup.

$150 - HDAV slim gets what you want (adds bitstreaming).

$240 - HDAV Deluxe, add high quality analog outs, but do you need that?

$235 - Auzentech XFI hometheater-HD, Only way to get bitstreaming and EAX5

???? - Ebay/craigslist the 4870x2 and buy a 5850 or 5870

personally I'd try selling the 4870x2 and getting a 5000 series card. I'm not crazy about EAX (but I do love games) and moving from a crossfire setup (even if it's on one card) to a single card setup that has greater perfomance is a win win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts