AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got the Reference 203, 202c and 201s - the first series of them. If you have a multichannel amp, I think you can use it to bi-amp any of the Reference series - I know I can with mine though there is no need with mine as I've got enough power with my 200W ATI 2005. I hope you're able to pick up the 4C, that's a terrific center channel speaker!
Great setup! Yeah, thought about bi-amping, but I'd need an active crosser to "do it right". So I'd rather choose a more powerful amp first, one which can handle the 4C. Yes, looking very forward to pull the trigger on one. But not before February / March next year, unfortunately.

Maybe not related to this thread, but anyone used the new AT54xNCs? How do they compare to the ATI 600x? I can see they are much lighter than the 600x and deliver a lot of power.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm not as technically inclined as most of you.:eek:
While I've been waiting what seems like forever for my AT6002 to return from California, my Emotiva XPR-5 has handled all the duties.

The XPR-5 is rated at 400 wpc. The AT6002 is 300 wpc pure balanced. I'm wondering why, it seems I have to increase the volume at least 10db on the XPR-5 to attain the same listening level when I play my 2 channel music at loud/spirited levels. :confused:

I doubt I've lost that much hearing in the past month. And no alcohol was consumed during listening...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I'm not as technically inclined as most of you.:eek:
While I've been waiting what seems like forever for my AT6002 to return from California, my Emotiva XPR-5 has handled all the duties.

The XPR-5 is rated at 400 wpc. The AT6002 is 300 wpc pure balanced. I'm wondering why, it seems I have to increase the volume at least 10db on the XPR-5 to attain the same listening level when I play my 2 channel music at loud/spirited levels. :confused:

I doubt I've lost that much hearing in the past month. And no alcohol was consumed during listening...

Thoughts?
The power capacity of the amplifier is not the same as the amplifier gain.

Take two amplifiers. One 50 watt and one 250 watts. Both can have a gain of 29db. Meaning for every volume level where the speaker is not consuming more than 50 watts of power the SPL from that speaker will be the same. Eventually the 50 watt amplifier will give up and distort where the 250 watts amplifier will continue to play cleanly (until it hits it's limit).

Most of the time people are using 50 watts or less while listening to their speakers.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The power capacity of the amplifier is not the same as the amplifier gain.

Take two amplifiers. One 50 watt and one 250 watts. Both can have a gain of 29db. Meaning for every volume level where the speaker is not consuming more than 50 watts of power the SPL from that speaker will be the same. Eventually the 50 watt amplifier will give up and distort where the 250 watts amplifier will continue to play cleanly (until it hits it's limit).

Most of the time people are using 50 watts or less while listening to their speakers.
Thank you.:)

·
Registered
551 Posts
KEF Reference Series Amplifier Requirements
201 50-150W
203 50-200W
205 50-300W
207 50-400W

202c 50-200W
204c 50-300W
IMO, you can never have too much power . . .

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I posed this question earlier in the Revel owners thread, thanks RichB.
While being brain dead about this thread.

Currently have 2 Emotiva XPA-1Ls driving Studio2s.
Sound great but with a major reno in my living room aka, 2-channel room, after much reading have decided to go with ATI.

Can't afford a 6004, can afford a 6002 or 4004 or the new ATI Hypex-based amps.

So my current options are a 6002, a 4004 bi-amped or a 4 module 54X amp bi-amped.
I have installed a dedicated 20 amp feed and a couple dedicated 15 amp feeds.
I know all about keeping the A/V system circuits isolated.

I invite any and all input.
I see positives in all of the above options.
The Hypex amps haven't been out long so the feedback user or pro is very limited.
I do trust ATI to do as good a job as possible with the Hypex modules.

As odd as it may seem, I could envision going with the digital for the low end and the 6002 for the mids and above.
Need to confirm the X-Over point

·
Registered
339 Posts
Incredible clarity

I just swapped my Parasound Halos for an At6003 and an At4002. All I can say is wow!! These amps are incredible

Attachments

Reactions: RichB

·
Registered
339 Posts
I purchased them used. So they are nice a broken in. I noticed a lot already in movies that I'm very familiar with. It has more detail in the highs! The Halos were a lot more laid back.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Have my brandnew ATI AT4007 for some days now in the cinema. Still breakung them in but sound quality is stunning. I had a Parasound HCA 1206 before which I will now use for my heights. Quality of the 4007 Is stunning! Never would have thought that such an increase in quality, dynamics and spped is even possible with 'just' changing the amps!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have my brandnew ATI AT4007 for some days now in the cinema. Still breakung them in but sound quality is stunning. I had a Parasound HCA 1206 before which I will now use for my heights. Quality of the 4007 Is stunning! Never would have thought that such an increase in quality, dynamics and spped is even possible with 'just' changing the amps!!!
I had the exact same feeling when I switched my Halos out with the Ati signatures. I finally have the sound I want and won't be changing these amps ever!!!

Reactions: HTNUT1975

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anybody who have made an comparison between the ATI 6000 series? regarding sound performance?

For example between Sig 6002 vs 6004? I have read that some have found the 6002 more powerful in bass region vs the 6004!

Anyone who knows or have experienced a difference??

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,488 Posts
Anybody who have made an comparison between the ATI 6000 series? regarding sound performance?

For example between Sig 6002 vs 6004? I have read that some have found the 6002 more powerful in bass region vs the 6004!

Anyone who knows or have experienced a difference??

I had both at one time. The AT4000 was exceptionally clear and clean but the gains were slightly different so I can't be certain of any finding. I ended up going all AT6000 since they looked good three in a row in my credenza :)

- Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,675 Posts
I had both at one time. The AT4000 was exceptionally clear and clean but the gains were slightly different so I can't be certain of any finding. I ended up going all AT6000 since they looked good three in a row in my credenza :)
He wasn't asking about 4000 vs 6000, but a partially loaded 6000 vs a more fully loaded 6000, so 6002 vs 6004. I'm assuming the question is whether the additional load on the torroids from extra channels has an effect on audio quality.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,488 Posts
He wasn't asking about 4000 vs 6000, but a partially loaded 6000 vs a more fully loaded 6000, so 6002 vs 6004. I'm assuming the question is whether the additional load on the torroids from extra channels has an effect on audio quality.

Right. I have not directly compared the AT6002's and AT6006 but I don't expect any significant difference, except of course, weight.

- Rich

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had the ATI AT6003 but I sold it but I'm now considering to buy a new one:)

But Im not sure which one yet. The 6002 or the 6005!? Im would be using it with Focal Sopra 2

Here is the link that says describing a difference:
http://av2day.com/2017/04/ati-6004-signature-power-amp/

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,488 Posts
I have had the ATI AT6003 but I sold it but I'm now considering to buy a new one:)

But Im not sure which one yet. The 6002 or the 6005!? Im would be using it with Focal Sopra 2

Here is the link that says describing a difference:
http://av2day.com/2017/04/ati-6004-signature-power-amp/
The differences in this review can be unit to unit variance (unlikely), bi-amping (more likely), or something else.

Consider bi-aming a single speaker with your ATi6003. Stacking banana-plugs make it easy stack at the amp and perform single-blind tests. I did that with my Salon1 and Salon2's and found a consistent improvement using ATI and Parasound amps.

https://www.parts-express.com/angled-locking-and-stacking-banana-plug-with-dual-set-screws-poly-carbonate-shell-and-insu--091-3608

- Rich

161 - 180 of 266 Posts