AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the significant differences between these two on my system? I am running an [email protected] GHZ,2 GB RAM and a HD3870. I have a free PCIe slot and am very capable of installing it but I can get the USB version for the same price and it seems to better suite me atm for ease of use of the inputs and whatnot. I don't really plan on recording any OTA HD material(I may though),I just want to backup all my shows from my set-top DVR. Any input on issues/PQ between the two? Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanooki /forum/post/12986614

What would be the significant differences between these two on my system? I am running an [email protected] GHZ,2 GB RAM and a HD3870. I have a free PCIe slot and am very capable of installing it but I can get the USB version for the same price and it seems to better suite me atm for ease of use of the inputs and whatnot. I don't really plan on recording any OTA HD material(I may though),I just want to backup all my shows from my set-top DVR. Any input on issues/PQ between the two? Thanks.

ATI has some driver issues with the 650 tuners. Releases 7.8 and higher have significant picture distortion on bright screens with non-HD video. I'm not entirely sure if the 7.7 drivers (no distortion with bright screens, although overall PQ may be not as good as more recent drivers releases) support the USB devices, which would make me lean toward PCIe.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong, and let us know if the 7.7 drivers support USB. And also, maybe someday ATI will fix the video issue on later drivers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the VisionTek ATI-650 USB combo tuner. Because of the noisy bright white scene problem with newer ATI drivers, I have tried several times now to go back to version 7.7 with no luck. I have uninstalled all ATI software from my system first. But the 7.7 installer does nothing. And if I run the found new hardware wizard and point it at the 7.7 drivers it tells me it can't find drivers for my hardware.

So, even though the ATI website shows the 7.7 driver for my USB tuner, it appears that it is not compatible.

Bottom line is that if you have the USB 650 device you are stuck with the noisy bright scene problem until the morons at ATI/AMD get off their a**es and fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts