AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my htpc tuner card from a theater 550 pro to the new ATI 650 Wonder. This is now combined with my current ATSC tuner, the avermedia a180, giving me my analog tuner, and 2 ATSC (for HD) tuners for MCE 2005. I run a splitter off of my antenna for the 2 HD connections and run my cable connection into the SD connection.

My goal is to be able to record two shows at once. I understand that the 650 can only handle one stream at a time, but will MCE be able to "juggle" back and forth between the 2 tuners on the 650 and the one atsc tuner a180? For instance, will I be able to record 2 HD shows at once, or 1 SD and 1 HD show? My concerns are with potential conflicts.

Ideally, I would require my avermedia a180 to always be used first for any ATSC(HD) recording, keeping my 650 open for either option (SD or HD). Otherwise, if I initially record a HD channel, and then try and watch a SD channel, there is a chance the tuner is tied up because MCE assigned the 650 to record the HD program. Is there any way to avoid this, or is my only option to buy another dual tuner?

·
Registered
322 Posts
You cannot tell MCE which tuner to use for what, so the problem scenario you described is very possible. I'd suggest you simply try it yourself; program MCE to record various combinations of SD and HD programs in varying sequences and see what it does. Then post your findings back here, and you might help someone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.