Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unzipped and installed these drivers.

The overlay controls are all blanked out and so is my picture.

Any suggestions?

Warren

·
Registered
803 Posts
More Info 'bout your HW configuration please.

The overlay controls are active only if overlay is running.

DirectX8 are installed ?

bye

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
windvd 2.6

ati 4.1 dvd player

win98se

INtel chipset

asus motherboard

Toshiba 1402 drive

256 meg ram

75gig IBM drive

Dvd Genie 4.05

Will the overlay controls show up when a dvd is running?

Will it remember the settings?

Do I still use the Oire startup file for the ati player

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Warren:

You will have problems running the ATI 4.1 player with those 7199 drivers. Those newest drivers are intended for DXVA compliant software dvd players which the 4.1 is not. In order to get good results, you need to run the ATI player in SW mode only or disengage the DXVA setting on the driver. The latter would render that driver's DXVA processing moot and still give you the overlay controls outside the player if that's what you are looking for. On the other hand, if you install a DXVA compliant player, then you'll want those drivers compatible and DXVA turned on.

So as not to confuse you any further, simply go into the Genie and click on the Cinemaster tab and then uncheck Hardware Optimization and that will allow your player to run in software mode only. By the way, a disk must be in the tray running for the overlay controls to be activated.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren460
Could someone define what is an overlay
Overlays are window boxes which appear on top of previous window boxes when you click on programs, tutorials and settings etc. The overlay referred to with the 7199 drivers are accessible by going into My Computer, Control panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Overlay --- there you will see new color controls for the overlay (the window in which the dvd movie plays). Now, there is another place to fiddle with the color controls of the dvd movie and that's in the player itself. If you right click on the ATI player screen and then left click on Setup>Video -- you will see the same color categories. This is a problem because often the two sources will fight with one another for control. This is why I don't understand why you went to the 7199 drivers if you still want to use your 4.1 player. The 0 IRE patch I gave you automatically sets the color levels and locks them into the player. The Control panel Display overlay is advantageous if you have another player like WinDVD or PwoerDVD that does not support gamma control within the player, then you can use this new overlay control, but you already have gamma support in the ATI player. The 7199 drivers do nothing for picture quality so you needn't have gone to them if you were expecting improvement on that frontier. Now, if you eventually upgrade to the 5.0 player (another bad idea) or acquire the new versions of PowerDVd or WinDVD which are DXVA enabled, then it's a good idea to have the 7199 drivers for added gamma control and DXVA compliance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am still trying to solve slightly jerky pans in limited instances.

Are all of your pans smooth. Perhaps my expectations are not realistic.

For example star wars 1, chapter 7 just after they come out of the water exhibits some sligh choppiness in the play back.

I have tried all kinds of different settings to speed it up. No luck so far.

Warren

·
Registered
755 Posts
Mike is almost correct. The overlay isn't just any window.. it's a special window used for video. MS Windows is limited to one overlay, and it works by opening a "hole" in the desktop to allow for very fast access to that area of the screen.

Stuttering problems are generally a result of a mismatch between the film frame rate and your display's refresh rate. NTSC DVD's have a frame rate of 23.976fps, so you need a refresh rate which is an exact multiple of that for smooth motion (ie. 71.928Hz on a CRT or possibly 47.952Hz with a digital projector).

Dave.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Does this mean that I should have my LT150 and HTPC set at 48Hz or 72Hz refresh for DVD movies although the color wheel is stuck at 60 Hz? I've always heard to match the HTPC refresh with the color wheel so I set it at 60 Hz with good pans for my setup. May be for LCD or LCOS the 72 Hz or 48 Hz may make more sense as they don't have a color wheel.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mike,

You have me confused on something. I understand the ATI 4.1 player is not DXVA compliant. However, I am running the ATI 4.1 player with the 7199 drivers just fine with Hardware Optimization checked in DVDGenie 4.05. I also have Smart checked and Adaptive deinterlacing in the Control Panel unchecked.

What would I be seeing if I have it set up wrong? I have the same picture I always had with the 7093 drivers, only I now have Gamma, etc. outside the player, available for other players as well and this works great. I can now play my vob files with the MMC File player and they look just like I'm playing the DVD out of the player. WinDVD also looks fantastic when I need DTS.

I'm using WinME not 98SE. Is that the difference? I doubt it. So how I can I tell if I have DXVA turned off? And what happens if I don't? BTW, I know I have tried AD checked in the ATI panel and saw no difference, though I leave it unchecked. I also just tried turning off Hardware Optimization and saw no difference (so far on my small monitor). Any more insight would be helpful, thanks.

Carey

·
Registered
755 Posts
Huey,

I'm not familiar with the LT150 so can't really offer advice. I know many DLP's sync the colour wheel to the refresh rate rather than running at a fixed rate.

60Hz works well at masking stutters, but will give you 3:2 pulldown judder on film-source material.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carey P
Mike,

So how I can I tell if I have DXVA turned off? And what happens if I don't?

Carey
Carey, this issue came up on another thread when I asked exactly the same question. Apparently there is a registry setting somewhere in the ATI drivers section that may have DXVA disabled. You should check it out. It is also my understanding that only the new PowerDVD XP and the TT player take advantage of DXVA so if your running WinDVD and the 4.1 player its probably best to have it disabled anyway.

John Moschella

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just updated to the beta 3281 win2k drivers and now I have access to gamma adjustments for the overlay. I'm getting a much better picture after adjusting the gamma in both ATI 4.1 and Windvd. I haven't noticed any extra artifacts or other anomolies that I would expect if the absence of DXVA was somehow inhibiting the hardware acceleration in the Radeon.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
John, Mike

Thanks. I did a search and found this from MikeM:

"You can disable/enable it in the registry by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ATI Technologies/Drivers/DXVA and then making sure DwordDXVA is set to 1 to enable or 0 to disable."

I checked and mine was set to OFF(0) by default. That's why it works. When I get the TT player, I'll set it ON and disable HA in the ATI 4.1.

BTW, I do disable the Video tab in the ATI 4.1 player. This was the way I got the ATI driver Overlay settings to stick and keep the brightness from jumping up to 112%.

Carey

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carey P
John, Mike

Thanks. I did a search and found this from MikeM:

"You can disable/enable it in the registry by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ATI Technologies/Drivers/DXVA and then making sure DwordDXVA is set to 1 to enable or 0 to disable."

I checked and mine was set to OFF(0) by default. That's why it works. When I get the TT player, I'll set it ON and disable HA in the ATI 4.1.

BTW, I do disable the Video tab in the ATI 4.1 player. This was the way I got the ATI driver Overlay settings to stick and keep the brightness from jumping up to 112%.

Carey
Carey:

The TT player is also non compliant. If you turn on DXVA in the 7199 drivers, then you have to run the TT is SW mode only and turn off Hardware Acceleration from the player, just like the 4.1 player. They are essentially the same.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks Mike. I must have read through those posts too quickly. I'll leave it set to 0.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.