AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this card on their HTPC, if so how do you like it? Do I have to purchase ATI's VGA to component adapter, or can I buy any VGA to component adapter? If I do buy ATI's adapter, do the dip switches interfere with using powerstrip?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm using an ATI 8500 DV AIW for my HTPC. It works well for me. I did purchase the HDTV converter but I'm not using it currently. I'm using the DVI->RGB converter and then into the RGB input of my new TV. On my previous TV I was using the RCA RGB->Component converter and powerstrip.

I found the resolution restrictions of the adapter to restrictive. I prefer to use powerstrip to get custom resolutions.

I've never tried to use powerstrip on top of the HDTV adapter. I assumed it would not work.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree. The HDTV adapter is too restrictive. I use a straight DVI connection now, but before that I used the AA vga to component converter. I used the HDTV adapter for about ten minutes and got fed up with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have the AIW, just the 8500 128MB. I noticed that ATI's adapter was only VGA to YPrPb for this card, but they did have a DVI to YPrPb for the AIW. Is one better than the other? Can I just buy any DVI or VGA adapter to use with the 8500 when I use Powerstrip?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, any thoughts as if I should go with ATI's VGA to Component adapter or a transcoder (think thats what they were called)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.