Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Over the weekend i purchased and ATI 9600XT. I completely uninstalled my previous ATI card and software before installing the 9600XT. The install of the software and drivers appears to have completed successfully. However, i now notice that my pc pauses unexpectedly whenever i have background graphics running such as the windows xp digital media edition dancers etc. I have also noticed that whenever i turn on hardware acceleration in the 'video' tab within WinDVD4 the image becomes totally pixilated and you cant even make out whats on the screen.

I have an Intel P4 2.8c chip with 1gb of pc3200 memory and am running Windows XP Pro. Other than WinDVD4 nothing else (application wise) is running at the same time. I dont think that there is a cpu or memory bottleneck.

I replaced the new video card with my old card (ATI 9200) and the problem isnt apparent. I reinstalled the 9600 and upgraded the ATI drivers to the latest version and the problem persists.

One thing to note is that the sales rep at Compusa advised me that all 9600pro cards had been recalled for a defect. He insisted the 9600XT cards are fine but i am starting to wonder.

Has anyone else seen anything similar? Any suggestions as to what could be causing this.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just upgraded a 9000 Pro to a 9600, and had all sorts of fun getting control of my desktop and resolution setting back.

I ended up completely uninstalling all ATI software, restarting PC with default VGA drivers, and installing Catalyst 3.10 from scratch.

Once I did this everything worked perfectly again.

Advice to anyone upgrading a Radeon card from one chipset to another, is don't take the shortcut of just swapping the cards.

If you have done all of this (as it sounds as though you have), then perhaps you have either a faulty card, or an incompatibility with the motherboard?

Have you tried temporarily turing off fastwrites? Are you running 8x AGP? etc. Have you upgraded you motherboard BIOS to the latest version, in case of any AGP issues with the latest chipsets etc.?

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.