AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what features the new NV30 chip wil have if any?? And when it will be released?

Thanks, still trying to assemble a parts list for a HTPC, must have gaming capabilities, but don't have access to a hi def signal.

Any suggestions, money not a limit within reason!

Thank You

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well what do the websites say???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well the Only thing I really noticed is the 10bit dac. That will be a big improvement and I think Nvidea can close a bit of the gap, However we will not know untill someone from this forum acutually gets one and tests it. also someone would need to scope it to see what is comming out of the end.

ATI has put a lot of effort into htpc's and I have not seen nvidia do anything to add value here over the last 4 video card chipsets released (excluding fx).

The Biggest problem now is ATI not wanting to support people who do not what to use the dongle. And many people would if they could could get buy the macrovision limitations...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
GeForce 4 and Quadro 4 have 10 bit DACs as well.

I think NV30 has many innovative features, like 128-bit color rendering, 8xFSAA, very high clock speed (both core and RAM) to support both, and primarily compression of both color and Z-buffer to make up for the lesser bandwidth of memory compared to the Radeon 9700 Pro. The specs are 1000 MHz 128-bit RAM on the GeForce FX while the Radeon 9700 Pro uses a 256-bit interface with RAM at 620 MHz. So in raw performance the memory interface is faster on Radeon 9700, but GeForce FX makes up for that by compressing the data. Also the core on GeForce FX runs 500 MHz, while the Radeon core only runs 325 MHz.

If you look at NVIDIA website, there's plenty of information to delve into.

Personally I think both are awesome products, and wouldn't mind either. If I got my Quadro4 sold I'd buy the Radeon 9700 in an instant.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There will always be something better coming up in 3-6 months. If you need a video card, and want the best, but what's the best at the time, which is the 9700. I bought one in October, and it's an amazing card.

If you want for the GeForce FX, ATI will announce their next big thing when the FX launches, and there will still be something better looming over the horizon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.