AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my ATI 9700 Pro card with a Zalman ZM80 to make it run quiet in my HTPC (a Dell Optiplex 260). The problem now is that it runs too hot. So hot I burned myself when touching the heatsink.

This is the link to a review of the Zalman heatsink:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-76-2.htm

I am not interested in gaming as much as in using the HTPC for watching region 2 PAL DVDs on my Plasma display. Considering that my Panny's native resolution is 800 x 600 a card like the ATI 9700 may be too much.

Would you recommend to downgrade the card to an ATI 9000 (no fan) or other similar cards? I can always install the fan back on my 9700 and resell it on ebay....

Thanks,

Santiago

·
Registered
797 Posts
Is there any circulation in your case near the Zalman HeatSink? Heat will be drawn off the HS better if you can get at least some airflow across it...

·
Registered
438 Posts
As an experiment, run your case in the open position -- if your CPU temp drops substantially (more than 5 deg C) or if the video card heatsink runs much cooler, then you have really proven to yourself that you need more ventilation.

In my desktop case, the CPU temp measured with MBM dropped by 10 deg C within 2 minutes of taking the lid off (P4 2.4 went from 42 deg to 32 deg C). After that, I put a 120mm fan in the lid, run it with a Zalman Fanmate so it is silent and now maintain the same lower temps with the lid on.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Just a thought: Do both HS plates get similarly hot? If not you might have a bad connection with this “heat pipeâ€.

BTW: I am using a ZM80 (no A) with a 9700Pro as well - no issues so far. Like you I am also not challenging the card very much by using it exclusively for DVD at 480p. Mine gets very warm, but I would not call it hot yet. I can still touch it w/o burning my fingers.

_________

Axel

·
Registered
930 Posts
It is reccomended that you have that bracketed fan that comes with there CPU flower thing with the heat pipe. I have it and have no problems.

FREAK!

·
Registered
214 Posts
and if you are concerned about temps after all that, you could use Powerstrip to underclock the GPU too. That can bring the temps down a fair bit. I was worried when I first did this to my 9700 too.

I installed a case heat extracter and that keeps everything cool now and no need to underclock.....now if only I could get the processor to passively cool too :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.