AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to reinstall all the software due to a hard disk problem. However, after I installed all the newest ATI software for my AIW 9000 Pro, the only input option during the setup is S-video and composite, no CATV. So the result is that I can't watch or record TV programs. It was all working fine before. Does anyone have any idea or suggestion?

Here's the ATI package on XP:

Catalyst 3.10

Multimedia Center (MMC) 8.8

I preinstalled DirectX9.0 and Windows Media Decoder 9.0. I also tried to install some older version of ATI software but still no CATV input option.

Please help. Now my PVR is junk without TV input.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had a problem with my AIW 9800 Pro where in the Device Manager, "ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio" or "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" would have a yellow exclamation point by it. If I removed the device and rebooted I'd get my TV functionality back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I reinstalled the WDM capture driver, but it didn't help. Uninstalling ATI WDM Rage Theater Video didn't work for me either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the best way to install ATI AIW's and perhaps all Radeons in general, is to first install the video drivers using the Easy Install from the original CD. Then once you're rebooted and have functionality and all devices found, uninstall the Display Driver and ATI Control Panel from the Add/Remove Programs control panel. Then reboot and when it comes back up, install the latest drivers you downloaded. The CD seems to have some extra stuff like the ATI DVD player and "UCI" that regular downloaded driver packages don't include.

Maybe you can uninstall the newest drivers, remove the latest INF's from the Windows\\Inf\\Other folder, and reinstall through the original CD after the reboot.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I found TV tuner capability was restored by reinstalling the ATI WDM.

I haven't tried the Microsoft patch.

But I have noticed high CPU demand with this 3.10 and MMC 8.8 when using the TV-On-Demand. I've found to get SPDIF sound I have to engage the TOD function and it NOW requires 100% of my CPU. IF I pause for 5 seconds the demand falls to 40 +/- 10% based on if I'm playing or pausing the show. If I fast-play and catch up with the LIVE program the CPU demand returns to high 90's, again. WHAT's up? Have any of you seen this? It's almost a show-stopper as switching to FULL SCREEN is next to impossible since there's little CPU time available! Has their Catalyst 4.1 resolved any of this?

I'm using an ABIT mobo w/RAID, AIW 9000 Pro, 512MB, AMD XP2500+

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
257 Posts
Andrew,

What's the "TOD function"? I've been battling the TV-->SP/DIF out for a while now (finally gave up). Please enlighten me :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
1) the latest WDM they'd posted (from 4.1)

2) TOD => TV-On-Demand

I installed 4.1 tonight and was playing with the VOLUME CONTROL in the system tray. I found there's a SP/DIF control which only the MUTE box works. I found it's backwards from what you'd think -- and then my Reltek Sound Effects icon had the SP/DIF output OFF !!

OK, so if you MUTE the VC's SP/DIF the optical into my A/V hears the TV EVEN when I'm NOT using the TOD -- WOW, this is GREAT!

I'll say more later but it's LATE

Andrew

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So... assuming dc00 is using NTSC (not the -J variety) does anyone know if this MS patch has some 'undocumented' fix within it?

dc00 -- what is the format of your TV's output? I ask this as under the Display> Properties> Advanced> Display there are advanced settings where you select the output by region (USA, etc) or format (PAL, etc.) and THERE my 9000 Pro shows NTSC-M. The AIW is supposed to do NTSC but THIS tab yields no choice for the basic NTSC. What's yours say?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Andrew, I couldn't find the window you described. There is a Displays tab once I hit Advanced button. And it only shows display device selections. I'm running XP. But I saw USA among ATI's settings.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
It's on THAT tab -- you can select FORMAT or geographical LOCATION. If you select FORMAT it will show you the formats available (and not which contries they're associated with).

I think the tab BEFORE you get there, the one w/Monitor, TV, and DVI (flat panel or some other name) tells you the resolution of each, whether it's active (green or red tab) and the format.

Mostly, I was trying to assess if the MS patch is something we should ALL do or not. I wonder if there are any detrimental effects if we installed it anyway.

BTW, my WDM Rage Theater got 'lost' sometime yesterday -- had to reinstall the TV - Capture driver to resolve it. I placed a shortcut on my Desktop since I had to reload it SO OFTEN there for a while. Much better now that the FastWRITES are not checked, and Synchronous AGP (from BIOS).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.