AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Characteristics look impressive. Does this card start feeding the Component out as soon as the computer starts or at the login screen or only after Windows and a bunch of drivers are loaded?

How is the picture quality (windows desktop, dvd and games) with the component out of this card?

Thanks in advance for any comment.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm using the 9700 pro with the component dongle-adaptor and it displays through component output from bootup (I can get into the BIOS settings with no difficulty) and all the way up to login screen. Usually login screen shifts to a virtual desktop for me but once I log in under my account that's setup for HTPC it switches to 1920x1080i and I'm good to go.

Picture quality is absolutely excellent; at 1080i, desktop text is a bit fuzzy, and games are difficult to pull off since the component adapter only allows 640x480 and 1920x1080i, so if the game loads into another resolution sometimes parts of the screen are inaccessible. That's my only problem so far with the component output. I also wish the component adapter was swappable without a reboot (you MUST boot into component display, there is no way to swap from regular VGA to component without a reboot, which in my opinion gives some edge to the option of using a VGA-component transcoder rather than ATI's built in features).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This card is pretty much one of the best for a HTPC I would say IMO. From what I have heard it should display all the way through the boot up process and through till the desktop where it will change to the resolution you have set.

One caveat about the component adapter is that it doesn't support any higher than 480p for copywrited material so basically you won't be able to display DVD's in 720p or 1080i. The solution that most have done on here is to get a transducer and have it convert the VGA signal from the video card to component connectors. This is what I will be going for myself here except I'm going to use a AIW 7500 because I don't care that much for playing games on this thing very often (got an Xbox w 16 games so...).

With that in mind unless you plan to play games on it or you have a bunch of coin to spend I'd recommend looking at the 8500 or 7500 AIW, they are cheaper and pretty much do everything that 9700 will do except just not as fast for gaming.

·
Registered
249 Posts
DVD playback is pretty easy to achieve at 1080i; you just have to run a utility like DVDidle that bypasses the Macrovision protection. You don't gain much by using the higher resolution, I just do it because my desktop and start menu are worthless at 480 line resolutions, and whatever downloaded high-def. content I have definitely benefits from the higher resolution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for your replies!

I'll give this card a try. One more question: is it safe (or possible) to install this card for the first time and install drivers etc when connected to my RPTV through the component out? I ask this since I don't have any PC monitor besides my RPTV and would like to switch from the GeForce3 presently in my PC to an AIW 9700. I guess I would have to remove the NVIDIA drivers and Powerstrip prior to installing the AIW9700 and then hope that the component out will work straight so I can install specific drivers for the AIW... Any opinion?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yes it is. I have installed / reinstalled XP with only the component output connected to my HDTV. I don't have a monitor connected to the HTPC either.

Given the finicky nature of ATI drivers it may or may not work well without removing all the other drivers first.

Once Windows boots up you should re-enable Powerstrip and tweak your timings.

In terms of available resolutions you will only be able to use the following ones with the component output: 640x480, 720x480, 856x480, 1920x1080.

This is an ATI driver issue. Any other resolution I have tried results in a virtual desktop.

I use the 856x480 all the time since I haven't been able to adjust the overscan on 1920x1080i to an acceptable level. I run all my 480P resolutions at 540P timings.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Not sure if that's an option for your HDTV, but the DVI output of the ATI has no restrictions on resolution (within reason of course). I'm running the AIW 9700 at 1280x720 through DVI, including for DVDs. Works great, I miss the BIOS splash screen at startup, but it does come on during the BIOS phase of booting. Not tried ot go into setup yet, but it looks like that should work just fine through DVI.

-Rob-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jvincent,

how do you get 856x480 using the component adapter on the AIW9700?

Each time I try to increase over 640x480p, I get a virtual desktop...

Thanks in advance,

Pyxus

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Under display properties -> advanced -> displays tab -> YPbPr tab make sure that you have the 480P box selected. I also have the 480i and 1080i also checked but I don't think that matters.

I created a custom 856 x 480 resolution in Powerstrip and when I switched to it ...... It just worked.

I'm running XP pro SP1, DX9, and Cat 3.2 drivers if that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the DB15 out from the AIW 9700 PRO. IMO, the VGA out has been more flexible than the component out. I've successfully configured my pj in the following modes:

800x600

960x540

1024x768

1280x720

1440x540

1920x1080

DVD's look their best using Sonic Cineplayer in 800x600 on a 100" 4x3 screen.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Whoops, sorry Mazdaspeedguy. Moved my question over here. Seemed the more logical place. I trust you're doing this with Powerstrip though, rather than the card's native 720p mode?

Does your GWII XBR display true 720p, or does it upconvert to 1080i?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
I use the DB15 out from the AIW 9700 PRO. IMO, the VGA out has been more flexible than the component out. I've successfully configured my pj in the following modes:
I'm having trouble getting 1280x720 through the VGA without the adapter, even with Powerstrip, as the card goes into a "virtual desktop" everytime I try. Is there a trick to getting 1280x720 without the virtual desktop?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to show the tv function on 2 screens or is it possible to show the tv trough the tv-out.

sorry my english is not so good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigLarr
I'm having trouble getting 1280x720 through the VGA without the adapter, even with Powerstrip, as the card goes into a "virtual desktop" everytime I try. Is there a trick to getting 1280x720 without the virtual desktop?

Thanks in advance.

Try changing the driver (monitor) in windows and powerstrip.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mazdaspeedguy,

Did you ever try 1920x1080i with a direct DVI connection to the GWII XBR 60? If so, how did that look?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Try changing the driver (monitor) in windows and powerstrip.
Any suggestions on which driver? I'm using a Pioneer 50" plasma with 1280x768 that does fine with 1280x720 or 1920x1080i resolutions. I use a Dell 17" flat panel to do the testing as it takes most anything.

I'm pretty new to Powerstrip. Do I need to build a driver?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.