AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new here and have a few questions I was hoping some of you could help me with?

1. Does anyone know when the ATI all in wonder 8500DV will be on store shelves? I'm debating whether or not to get the video card or pick up a Showstopper PVR. Any opinions? I chose the Showstopper line because of the $100 rebate (cost is an issue). I know about the macrovision problems as opposed to a Replay TV model.

2. Also does anyone have any advice on displaying their HT PC's on direct view TV's? I currently have the ATI all in wonder 128 pro 32MB AGP card displayed on my 35" Mitsubishi direct view TV. I'm using a simple composite cable (this could be the problem) and the display sucks. Since the TV is older and I am limited on inputs would going to S-video make a big difference?

Any help, advice, or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check anandtech for a semi-preview and feature rundown. Again no support for the onboard HDTV chip, but an improved descalar, improved tuner. ATI told Anand that it will ship before the end of the year.

As far as your second question, yes S-video will help some, but it really comes down to direct view analog TV isn't the best way to view anything. I used a HW+ with S-video on my low end TV and DVDs looked OK.

At my wifes request I finally bought a cheapo DVD player so she could just drop in a disc and play it. That's connected S-Video, in fact I had it connected both ways (S and RCA) for a little while and I could switch back and forth. I could see the difference.

I'm saving my money for a used XGA projector to go with my 8500DV. They are getting well under $1500

·
Registered
456 Posts
"Again no support for the onboard HDTV chip."

I have this hope that ATI will release some sort of DTV tuner with their component dongle. Not likely, but maybe...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will have to try the S-video. When the wife and I buy our first house I'll be upgrading the TV to something digital, with lots of inputs, I'll keep an eye out for a set with a VGA in, that should do the trick.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, since I have almost that exact setup currently, I will offer my comments.

I now have a Rage Fury Pro, but I previously used the AIW 128, going to a 35" Mitsubishi direct view tv with s-video. Going to S-video will help, but its still a pretty poor picture, and you can only go 800 x 600. That being said, it is possible to use the tv out display for casual surfing, playing mp3's and videos, etc. Heck, I even installed XP through it the other day! Sometimes it can be frustrating to read some web pages, but you can adjust the fonts somewhat. It serves my purposes, in that my main goal is to play the mp3 or video!

As the previous poster said, once you get a video or dvd going, it looks "okay". So I would recommend trying the s-video before trashing it.

I am looking at the Radeon AIW or possibly Radeon 8500 AIW ($399?? whew!) for a replacement, unless I finally get a hdtv or projector someday! Right now I am playing with captures a lot, and the Rage Fury Pro only has composite in, again its "okay", but isn't the greatest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One reason I am considering the 8500DV instead of Radeon is I'm a gamer too and big screen XGA gaming really appeals to me.

But, based on the reviews on the 8500 the general consensus is the drivers are way behind the hardware, just like e vey said, never mind ATI's benchmark cheats. They may catch up, but they may not. Right now the 8500 isn't very far ahead of the Radeon AIW for XGA (relatively low mem requirement) gaming performance.

Maybe it would be better to wait for the price of the Radeon AIW to drop when they release the 8500DV and put the $200+ towards my projector :)

I'd also like to see a review of the 8500DV in a HTPC context and I'm not sure I will see that for a little while. Anandtech and other tech sites usually cover the HTPC features pretty quickly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just installed a AIW Radeon (32Mb AGP) primarily to drive a SGI 1600sw monitor in DVI mode. I connected it up to my Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV ready TV through S-Video. After tweaking some of the settings on both the card and the TV, I was pleasantly surprised at the picture quality using the ATI DVD player. Colors stood out with good detail except for a little softness which I can attribute to the TV line doubler.

I was tempted to wait for the AIW 8500DV with it's DVI-component out dongle to drive the TV but I'll wait until the drivers/software for it matures and HDTV features are turned on. Oh, and also when the price comes down from it's current lofty levels (the AIW Radeon used to be priced at $399, I got it for $89 after rebates).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm curious about the scaler enhancements. The Radeon AIW has a good one and they improved it even more

Quote from Anandtech:

"ATI combated this with their Adaptive De-Interlacing on the Radeon. This technology dynamically chose between bob & weave algorithms to produce the best quality de-interlacing out of any 3D graphics cards. The All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV takes it one step further by introducing what ATI calls temporal de-interlacing. Temporal de-interlacing syncs the input video source to the refresh rate of your monitor. ATI claims that without their temporal filtering algorithms, text would appear to hop across the screen instead of neatly scroll."

The XGA LCD projector I can afford will not have a good scaler, if at all, so using the 8500DV should be an improvement over video in from a VCR. So the question is gaming performance at XGA and better de-interlacing worth the extra $$?

Not sure the better TV tuner or RF remote have value for me. I have no confidence they will implement the HDTV. Plus it doesn't support W98 so I will have to buy a copy of WinME. Kind of talking myself out of it here :)

Where'd you find the Radeon AIW for $90AR?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Everyone seems to be complaining about the 8500 drivers, but I have no issues with mine as of yet. Of course I don't have a DV, but the standard 8500 drivers work fine for me SO FAR. Hopefully my statements aren't jinxing me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On Anand's preview he mentioned that ATi will release some sort of DVI to Component video converter cheaply (~50$). I'm sure some of you are interested in that.

Should be better than s-video.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.