AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has beem a while since my last post but could really use some help.

Just installed windows 7 beta 64 and can't get the tv tuner driver to install. Any suggesstions would be great.

Thanks greg

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
run it in vista compatibility mode

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm running a standard HTPC - 780g motherboard, AMD 4850e CPU, 4gb ram, All in Wonder HD (3650) graphics, Vista MCE 32. TV is a Sony 46ZW100 connected over HDMI to the All in Wonder.

Last night I went crazy and installed the W7 Beta in 64 bit mode, took about 1.5 hours.

To get the tuner working, this is what randomly worked for me: (of course lots of futzing and reboots at each step)
  • go to ati.com and install the All in Wonder HD Vista 64 driver
  • Catalyst will install the ATI AVstream driver, but the tuner won't show up
  • At some point Windows will sadly automatically "update" you to the generic Radeon 3600 WDDM driver. This doesn't work for TV - use "choose from a list of drivers" and reinstall the previously installed All in Wonder HD driver.
  • Look in Device Manager - an odd item something like NT1xxxxx will appear banged out, but not in the "sound,video and game controllers" where it should. This is the tuner.
  • Again use "choose from a list of drivers" and it should show the ATI AVstream driver. Select that.
  • Run MCE, do the Microsoft setup, and analog TV appears!

I didn't try any digital TV, but so far MCE is working for analog - looks and feels a lot nicer than Vista.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Perfect Solution to a Confusing Situation thanks! Worked Perfectly

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good catch edcal! The mystery device is located under "Other Devices" and is called NTativlm61. If you double click on it, select "drivers" and then select "update drivers" and let Win 7 "Search automatically for updated driver software" it will download and install the 650 Pro drivers. It will then be moved under "sound,video and game controllers" where it should be as you said.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not too sure about the 650, but for the AIW HD, Win7 will try to switch you to the generic Radeon 36xx driver. Overrride it. Just get and use the latest AIW HD Vista (64 or 32) driver).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone with the AIW HD tried to see if it works with clear QAM stations? Thinking about getting one for a new HTPC build, but only if it supports clear QAM.

Q

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
never tried it, but my ATI Digital Cable Tuner has a 650 chip inside it, and it works ClearQAM if I don't have a CableCARD installed.

not sure how helpful that is though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Windows 7 RC installed, with a Hauppauge 1800 and an ATI AIW HD. For months I've been thinking the computer wasn't registering the Hauppauge card, since after tuner setup it would say one tuner wouldn't be configured, and after clicking 'details' it would reference a "Hauppauge WinTV 885 Tuner" or some such. Well, I removed the AIW and used the onboard intel graphics card to see if the Hauppauge would be recognized without the AIW in. Windows Media Center came up fine, no changes, and was still tuning in TV. So, it was the AIW all along that it wasn't registering.

I read a few other posts talking about the method described here for getting the right driver installed for the NTATIVLM61 device, but when I attempted to update the driver, letting Windows search for the driver, it would never work.

Instead of choosing the option to let windows search for the driver, I selected "browse" and pointed it at the directory where the latest AIW drivers had been extracted to (typically c:\\ATI). It found the driver there by searching subdirectories and installed it.

I reran the TV Setup in Windows Media Center, and it detected two tuners. Finally! Mystery solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to thank everyone for this forum. I picked up the Diamond AIW HD 3650 and had this exact problem with Win 7 RC.

I do have a question for everyone that is using this card and its tuner functions. Have you noticed any picture quality issues? If so how did you resolve them and if not what kind of setup do you have?

When I connected my cable to the card instead of the TV I could immediately tell a difference in the quality of the picture. I don't pay for cable so I believe the signal I receive is what is refered to as ClearQAM if that matters. I have a AMD 780g motherboard, Phenom X4 6550, 4GB ddr2 ram, and 430watt PS. All running in Win 7 RC.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have picture quality issues. If I plug the HDMI cable from the set top to the TV there is a world of difference in picture quality. Blu Ray, HDDVD and other video formats work fine with my setup (similare specs to rodamimod). Echo thoughts on how to improve resolution if anyone else has run into these issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hmm.. for some reason my media center only detects the digital tuner and not analog. I tried rebooting etc. I do get a few digital hd channels and they work fine, the analog has the majority though. Anyone know of maybe a way to add it manually?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue with the ATI AIW HD. I used to use a set top box with Vista. Now it seems I have no analog tuner with Windows 7 7600 build RTM. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right after I made my last post I started trying different drivers for my ATI AIW HD to try to get back analog tuning.

Version 9.4 worked for me. Heres what I did:

1. I uninstalled the ATI Unified AVstream AIW driver that another forum pointed me towards when my tuner wasn't even being recognized. (Its under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" in device manager)

2. Once you uninstall that, you will be prompted to restart. Do so and when your PC starts back up you will notice a device named "NTativlm61" in "other devices" within device manager.

3. Next download the version 9.4 driver for the AIW HD from ATI's website. (They have a section for previous drivers)

4. Open the executable and tell it to install the driver in an easy to find folder (like c:\\TVdriver). Then you can just cancel the installation of the Catalyst software.

5. Once you've done that go to device manager and right click "NTativlm61" and update driver. Click browse my computer and in the field put the location where you had the 9.4 driver installed. (c:\\TVdriver)

6. Click "next". It should find the driver and install it.

7. Finally you have to reconfigure your tv tuner through Media Center. It should list 2 tuners after it checks your TV signal.

8. When it scans for channels it integrates the digital channels in with your analog ones.

Hope this helps someone!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!! that fixed it!! i didnt even uninstall the old ones. I just right clicked on the driver, then selected have disk and pointed it to the place where i extracted the 9.4 drivers

the exact spot is:

Packages\\Drivers\\WDM\\AVS_RIO\\LH64A\\

then i checked the driver version and it's

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE!

I just updated from Win7 RC build 7100 to Win7 Pro x64, in the RC my AIW HD Premium worked fine, but in the final build I got the same problem as everyone else here. I downloaded the newest Win7 driver (9.10) from ATI, then followed pojieps and skynet01's posts and now it works fine (but still using the 9.10 driver).

Hope this helps someone else.

P

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried the methods described in this thread by edcal, pojieps, and SacTownPaulie to no avail.

I have the AIW X600 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I am able to successfully "convert" the "NTativrv01" (listed under "Other devices") into the "ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver" (listed under "Sound, video and game controllers"), as described in this thread. I reboot and go back to Device Manager.

The device manager has the little yellow exclamation point, indicating there is a problem. When I look at the properties it says "This device cannot start (Code 10)."

I have tried version 9.11 (most recent), 9.10 (recommended by SacTownPaulie), and 9.4 (recommended by pojieps) of the driver, all with the same result.

Specifically, I used the driver found here:

C:\\ATI\\Support\\9-4_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\\Driver\\Packages\\Drivers\ \WDM\\AVS_T200\\LH64A

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, My tuner is now working but the picture is b/w and has horizontal lines in it. The sound is also distorted. Any Ideas. Thanks Graham

·
Registered
43 Posts
for kbensel:

Only teh AIW HD will work in vista and 7. Older AIW like X600 will not, even with these patches.

for graham:

hmmm...B&W picture and distorted sound...

could be tuner SW is set for PAL but signal is NTSC (or v.v.)

could be tuner SW is set for cable but using antenna (or v.v.)

could be broken or loose cable or very weak signal

could be momentary driver hiccup - try tuning one channel up then one down

if composite or s-video works, then go over tuner cable and settings

1 - 20 of 23 Posts