AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting one of the ATI All-In-Wonder Cards. The only things I really need are DVI-D out, TV Tuner, & coaxial digital ouput would be nice also. I would probably turn the firewire off.

1. On ATI's website, they mention the cards have DVI-I. Then you can use their adapter for a regular monitor. Does the DVI-I output digitally to a front projector that only accepts DVI-D & would my DVI-D to DVI-D cable work?

2. How is the quality of the SPDIF coaxial digital output running to a preamp or receiver?

3. Please list any other good or bad comments about the cards.

I'm mainly interested in the cards that are under $200. I guess the AIW 9000, 8500, & 7500.

Thanks,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, Do any of the ATI cards support using the HD15 connector & DVI output at the same time. I would like my Monitor & projector to work together.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Take a look at my thread..You will find answers for 1,2...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247144

SPDIF out from ATI is supported by ATI DVD player only if I am sure (NOT BY WINDVD platinum for sure) BUT EVEN IF ANY OTHER software dvd player does support it THEN YOU CAN ONLY PASS THROUGH DD NOT DTS.... So try to either buy a sound card with a spdif out or a motherboard with spdif out but first check it out as there are controversery reports on which software dvd player supports what spdif board....

Although I have an 8500DV, the 9000 I think is better. It even has (for Europe) a better TV tuner made by Philips.... Your operating system should also be Win XP otherwise problems may arise with spdif support etc....

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just saw your second question. The ATI cards (WITHOUT TV) support 1 DVI-D panel and 1 VGA at the same time as well as a TV via Svideo out which is A CLONE OF EITHER ONE OF THE PREVIOUS PANELS!!! THE AIW versions(with TV) support either a vga OR a DVI-D lcd monitor (BUT NOT TOGETHER) together with a TV svideo output which this time works as a second monitor OR a clone of the first one. I use the svideo output to connect my 29 4:3 TV as aclone of the LCD HS10 projector in theater mode and watch a dvd in both monitors. Others use the TV as a second monitor and transfer there the controls of the programs..... It is your choise what to choose....

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Just a clarification on the DTS passthru comment from Leonidas.

The AIW9700 SPDIF output is supported by the TheaterTek S/W (not sure about other AIW models) and it DOES support DTS passthru.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
"The AIW9700 SPDIF output is supported by the TheaterTek S/W (not sure about other AIW models) and it DOES support DTS passthru."

Woo, a big exhale from me. :D I was starting to doubt the whole purpose of building a HTPC to replace my DVD player.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well ATI states in it's FAQ that:

Q15: What types of digital audio output do the ALL-IN-WONDER® family of products support?

A15: S/PDIF output on the ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ supports Dolby® Digital output, however it does not support DTS output. Previous generations of the ALL-IN-WONDER® family of products, i.e. ALL-IN-WONDER® 128 and ALL-IN-WONDER® 128 PRO, do not support digital audio output.

ALL-IN-WONDER Family

S/PDIF output on the ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ supports Dolby® Digital output, however it does not support DTS output.
http://mirror.ati.com/products/faqs/allinwonderfaq.html

Most probably this holds for ATI DVD player......

Anyway in my 8500 and most probably in 9000 the spdif output of the card is not detected by WINDVD........

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Since when have you trusted anything ATI writes? :)

But seriously, I know for a fact that DTS works on the AIW9700.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sitting in my PC with nothing connected to it to prove it. :-(

Anyone want to buy it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
the AIW9000 SPDIF out also passes DTS and DD with Sonic Cineplayer 1.5. There is a specific option something like "Sonic ATI SPDIF" which you need to set. However, there is a perceptible stutter every 20 minutes or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.