AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried running both an ATI vid card and a nvidia card in the same HTPC. I have an ATI 9600XT in my AGP slot using the component adapter and I would like to add a second video card into a standard PCI slot, probably a Geforce 5200 as that seems to be the only PCI card out there that has directx9 (supported by MCE)

Has anyone tried this? Are there driver conflicts running ATI and Nvidia in the same box?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
No. But what's wrong w/ dual monitors w/ your 9600xt?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. When you use the DVI to component adapter it disables svideo so I am somewhat out of luck with dual output from my 9600XT

Excerpt from ATI FAQ on component adapter

Q8: Does Component Output support multiple displays?

A8: Component Output is a single display feature and will not work simultaneously with TV Output (All-in-Wonder® cards) nor simultaneously with VGA monitors (non-TV enabled graphics boards) for Radeon® 9800 Series and older, nor All-in-Wonder® 8500 Series. Other products are excepted.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I don't use the dongle but I have both DVI and VGA working fine. Maybe some dongle user will shed some light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
YES

I put an nvidia 6600 pci-e cand in my mcpc along with an ati 9200 pci. I was using the 6600 for component out and vga out. I was using the 9200 for composite out. It worked great with ultramon cloning all 3 monitors to have the same output.... right up until I ran media center software. I got yellow and black diagonal lines across the vga and composite displays. When I moved the mouse around, it "erased" the diagonal lines to reveal the media center software underneath (but the image underneath was frozen). I didn't have the problem while running any other software, only media center.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Justmikie thanks.

Bummer thats not what I wanted to hear. I am using MCE.

Has anyone else hade the same results with two video cards and MCE?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try another ati card? Like maybe 9250 or some other pci flavor? I know it blows for performance but if you just want more desktop might be ok?

Question - using yprpb dongle and s-vid out? what's that all about? multiple tv's?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also tried another nvidia card (a 5500, I think) as the 2nd card to see if that would solve the problem. I had the same yellow/black diagonal lines. It appears to have something to do with Ultramon which I needed to get a clone of 3 or 4 displays. It seems that xp only supports multiple monitors if you want to put different things on them.

I posted my problem on the Ultramon forum, but didn't get any response to the problem. I don't know if there is any other software like Ultramon that will support multiple monitor cloning.

The nvidia software will let you clone the 2 displays on one card, but I couldn't get it to clone across 2 cards. I called nvidia tech support to ask them if there was a way to do it, and the guy I talked to didn't know if it was possible.

The dongle is a way to hook up to a tv display device, either component, s-video or composite. The pny card I have has 2 DVI out and the dongle, but you can only have 2 displays running at one time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
burticus

"Question - using yprpb dongle and s-vid out? what's that all about? multiple tv's?"

I have the component going to a mitsubishi rptv and would like the svideo to go to my other tv's in the house (rf mudulater) at 480i.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.