AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is my initial impression of my new ATI AT2505 amplifier.

Specs:

250W x 5 channels @ 8 ohms, 375W x 5 channels @ 4 ohms all channels driven from a 20 amp outlet. Weight: 106 lbs. (It really weighs this much!)

Physical appearance:

Visually, this is a very utilitarian amp IMO. SOLID build which is evident in the 100+ lb chassis. Very formidable appearance to due sheer size of unit. I removed the heavy gauge steel cover and the cover itself was pretty substantial. The front of the amp is the home for a huge tranformer. The rear contains a bank of 5 amps. (much like the layout of the Outlaw amps) Very clean and uncluttered inside. Exudes quality in every aspect.

Sonically:

One word - WOW!!! I am upgrading from an Acurus A125x5 amp which smoked every receiver's amp section that I have come across before and the AT2505 puts the Acurus to shame. Mids have more body and texture. Bass output is tighter and more substantial. Classical music which was rather sterile with the Acurus has really come alive now. It is a much sweeter sound. I have only listened to classical music so far, but the difference is like night and day from my previous amp. One thing that I should point out is that I am running this amp off a normal 15 amp outlet. ATI designed this amp to run off a 20 amp outlet for optimum sound. All I know is that if this monster of an amp sounds this good from 15 amps, I don't want to think how much better it will sound when I hook it up to 20 amps. And I hear it really does make a difference. Well, that's it so far. I will update this review when I have had a chance to put it thru it's paces in HT. Back to more listening...:D

· Registered
967 Posts
Yes, ATI makes a very good amp at a very attractive price. I've been running two ATI 1506 amps in bridged mode for awhile. I will be replacing this combination with a new Theta Dreadnaught II in about a month (as soon as they are released). I have no complaints about the ATI, it is a wonderful amp.

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part II:

I then played Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily and again was amazed at the improvement in bass. Tight and low. The soundstage had broadened in width and depth. Her voice had more oomph and was much sweeter than with the Acurus. I have also owned a Parasound HCA-855 and a Sherbourn 12/900 and the ATI is far better than any of these. And it should be just as well since it does cost more. However, the improvement in sound justifies the increased cost of ownership IMO. The improvement is THAT dramatic.

Now for 5 channel action...I popped in Star Wars: TPM and that THX sound check was awesome! It literally felt like shattered shards of glass were coming at you. Increased realism. All the channels came alive in the pod racing scene as the amp effortlessly drove all speakers with ease. I have not even begun to push this amp yet. I have concluded that this is the best amp I have had the pleasure to own. The quality is outstanding. The warranty is excellent. (7 yr transferable warranty on parts and labor). I think I won't be upgrading anytime soon. But then again, that's what I said when I got the Acurus. ;) However, come to think of it, the Acurus didn't weigh 106 lbs either. Given that I happy with the sound and the fact that I don't want to move this thing anytime soon, I'm going keep this for a long, long time! Thanks for reading!

And Merc, thank you for being so helpful! Your advice was much appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.