AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think so! I'm soooo sick and tired of having to hold my mouth just right to get the ATI player to work. I finally have DD passthrough, but the audio drops out 50% of the time.

So I load the VERY COOL new overlay driver for the Radeon (7199), and now I can bump up the saturation, mess with the brightness and contrast, alter the gamma, and I'll be danged if the WinDVD player isn't looking as good as the ATI player on my Radeon!

I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences yet. I believe that this driver may be the step towards getting the excellent colors that the ATI player produces with the great PQ of the Radeon, without the headache of using the ATI player. More testing to come.

Oz

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Of course it is a great step. In my opinion, it's the biggest thing that's happened yet including the release of two new players coming shortly.

However, there are still slight differences in the way all these players decode the signal as the ATI player uses the highly regarded Ravisent decoder filter and the other companies use their own. All of them, well I'm not sure about WinDVD as they seem to be lagging right now, are now adopting DXVA for Microsoft XP comaptibility.

ATI put those controls in the overlay at the request of the beta testers and have obviously decided that it benefits them to let everyone use their controls rather than just the ones who use their player. Why? Because you still have to have their hardware card and display drivers in order for it to work and this has always been about pushing the sales of the card rather than the player.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi MikeM:

___One item add to the thread. “ATI put those controls in the overlay at the request of the beta testers …†We had asked for this long before anyone was involved in the latest ATI player beta test. I know many of us including myself have asked ATI and/or Mr. Orr for this feature on more than one occasion even before his participation in the guest forum earlier this year.

___At least ATI finally listened! By the way, how many bones did you have to break before he screamed “You can have overlay controls in the driver set …†;)

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.