AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is more knowledge on this board than all other Home Theater sites combined. While this is great, searching for the truth can be tough ...

I am building a HTPC , basically NTSC PVR and for HDTV recording via MyHD. I have come upon the concept of improved DVD picture quality using some ATI cards, with a dongle.

Questions?

1. Should I try to find a ATI 7200, get a dongle ( do I need powerstrip?)

2. Or do all the chip sets linit output to 480p?

3. If I copy the DVD to hard drive, can i then play it in higher resolution

It boils down to the ATI9700Pro versus soem other ATI card.

Thanks to all in advance

Pierre

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can only share MY experience with the ATI dongle, which I use with my AIW 8500dv. I also use Powerstrip for my custom resolutions to my HDTV (1280x720p). I do not think the dongle will work on the 7200, remembering previous posts on this forum.

If I try to play Macrovision-protected DVD's thru the dongle at anything higher than 480p, using Theatertek or Zoom Player and the TT filters, I get Macrovision errors and cannot play the disc. Using Power DVD, I am able to play the DVD at any rez. I have tried some of the de-encryption programs, and the haven't work for me.

I have successfully ripped DVD's to my HD using DVDecryptor. I have used both the .ifo mode, and more recently, the .iso mode. This requires using Daemon Tools to create a virtual DVD drive to play back the file, but I have none of the Macrovision errors and get a superb picture at my chosen rez.

Others may chime in and give you a better perspective than I, good luck!

Mark

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I might ask...why did you choose the MyHD card over..say the AccessDTV or HiPix cards?

I have the Radeon AIW 8500 but want to add HDTV PVR functions. I am planning on buying the dongle and using DVDecryptor with a virtual drive for DVD playback.

I want to purchase the HDTV tuner soon, but want to make an informed decision. My main use would be, as I said, the PVR functionality as I travel alot and am unable to watch live TV.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Maybe someone can verify, but I believe that the ATI dongle will only send out the signal from the ATI card, you will not be able to send the HD signal from either the AccessDTV card, myHD or HiPix. The pass thru cable goes from ATI VGA out to input on AccessDTV, then from AccessDTV to HDTV display.

I'm in the same pickle...bought AA transcoder and ATI dongle. I believe the dongle was a mistake, but needed it for testing...

Good luck

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, what I plan on doing is connecting the HD card to the HDTV input (d-sub) connector on my Mits to watch OTA HD programs which I have recorded during the week.

I plan to use the dongle to get my desktop on the big screen for gaming and DVD watching. That would connect through the HD Component inputs beneath the d-sub connector.

I will have to check however, to make sure my Mits will allow for two HD inputs as the regular component input would not be capable of true HD quality. If it doesn't then I will be doing some back and forth swapping of cables. =\\

Hey debsman....you want to get rid of your dongle? It's for the 8500 AIW series...correct? NOT the AIW 8500DV?

Let me know. : [email protected]

Thx,

Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
my dongle (boy that's a loaded statement) is the DVI connector one for the 8500 AIW...not the VGA one. I still need it for testing for the next few weeks...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh, I know which dongle your talking about now! =)

I have that one too!

Yes....dongle talk is a loaded discussion! =)

Thx anyway!

Dan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Stima
If I might ask...why did you choose the MyHD card over..say the AccessDTV or HiPix cards?

I have the Radeon AIW 8500 but want to add HDTV PVR functions. I am planning on buying the dongle and using DVDecryptor with a virtual drive for DVD playback.

I want to purchase the HDTV tuner soon, but want to make an informed decision. My main use would be, as I said, the PVR functionality as I travel alot and am unable to watch live TV.

Thanks for your help!

Dan
I got the feeling that the MyHD card seems to be better liked by the people on these boards, and that the HiPix card maybe harder to get...I did like the edit out the commercials feature from the Hipix card software though..

If there are others here who can state their case for the Hipix card over the MyHD i would love to hear it...the extra 80$ or so is not a factor

Pierre

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmark
I can only share MY experience with the ATI dongle, which I use with my AIW 8500dv. I also use Powerstrip for my custom resolutions to my HDTV (1280x720p). I do not think the dongle will work on the 7200, remembering previous posts on this forum.

If I try to play Macrovision-protected DVD's thru the dongle at anything higher than 480p, using Theatertek or Zoom Player and the TT filters, I get Macrovision errors and cannot play the disc. Using Power DVD, I am able to play the DVD at any rez. I have tried some of the de-encryption programs, and the haven't work for me.

I have successfully ripped DVD's to my HD using DVDecryptor. I have used both the .ifo mode, and more recently, the .iso mode. This requires using Daemon Tools to create a virtual DVD drive to play back the file, but I have none of the Macrovision errors and get a superb picture at my chosen rez.

Others may chime in and give you a better perspective than I, good luck!

Mark
Mark,

I maybe making a "dumb dongle assumption"... A dongle is a thingy that connects to the VGA port and converts to component? My TV does not have a DVI input

Pierre

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use the dongle to connect to my Component in on the TV. YpB whatever...

it is the only way you can use the dongle. I have also used a vga cable to my vga/pc input but wasn't happy with the PQ.

Mark

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Any success with ATI AIW 8500 DV/HDTV YPbPr Dongle Looped Thru accessDTV?

Has anyone had continuous with the ATI AIW 8500/HDTV YPbPr Dongle Looped Thru accessDTV?

I can get the ATI 8500/HDTV YPbPr Dongle to work DIRECTLY off the video card into my Toshiba 65HX81 RPTV at 854X480.

However, if I need to reboot, I MUST switch the YPbPr Dongle over to the VGA/DVI output of the ATI AAIW 8500 and THEN manually move it back to the accessDTV output and connect the ADTV Loop Thru CAble to the ATI AIW VGA Output once the system SEES the dongle.

Only then can I toggle between Full Screen HD from the accessDTV and the Windows XP Desktop.

Any ideas?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I tried putting accessDTV in the startup group to see if that would help. It did not.

I tries using Powerstrip in the startup as well, but no benefit there either.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman
I tried putting accessDTV in the startup group to see if that would help. It did not.

I tries using Powerstrip in the startup as well, but no benefit there either.

Murray Kerdman
Has anyone tried a Radeon 8500 connected /pass through into a MyHD card....does the dongle then connect out of the myHD card to provide component input into the HDTV? Does one then lose the ability to view DVD's then at a higher than 480p with PowerDVD?

I find it hard to visualize all these connections w/o the actual hardware in front of me...

Pierre

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pierreb
Has anyone tried a Radeon 8500 connected /pass through into a MyHD card....does the dongle then connect out of the myHD card to provide component input into the HDTV? Does one then lose the ability to view DVD's then at a higher than 480p with PowerDVD?

I find it hard to visualize all these connections w/o the actual hardware in front of me...

Pierre

So lets say I have an ATI radeon 7500/8500 (not the All in wonder), and I connect the card to the pass through on the myHD, and then connect the my HD to component input on HDTV

I also connect the CATV NTSC to the myHD

And i connect an antenna to the HD input on myHD

Will I be able to: ( i think these are my goals)

1. Take the 480i signal from CATV/NSTC and view in 480p/1080i?

2. Use titanTV or whatver to timeshift record NTSC or HDTV

3. Play DVD and take the 480p and convert to 1080i?

Thanks in advance...

Pierre

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
1. Yes

2. Yes, sort of, I think they fixed the scheduler problem (Erasing entries even if they are repeating entries such as every Wednesday at 9:00 PM).

3. Yes and no. With the .3 version, you can only play non-macrovision DVDs at higher than 480P. With the .2 version you can play anything but it is not a finished product as there is little navigation. CSS revoked their license, so for now the DVD playback is restricted. Some have reported success with ripped DVDs (not an endorsement).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.