AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings... I am in the planning stages of my HTPC right now. I have all but settled on the ATI cards, but not sure which one will work best for my setup. I have a Mits WS55511 HDTV with 1 1080i component input and 1 VGA port (supposedly locked at 640x480, but I think this is untrue?).

I plan to use a 4:1 component switcher (or AV receiver with component switching). I will want to use the HTPC mainly for DVHSTool, and playback of HD streams. Also, I will be using it to play certain games, and rarely to view a website or document. I was reading about some people having overscan issues with certain ATI cards, and certain monitors. Does anyone have a setup similar to mine and can comment?

Also, which ATI card to get? Do I stick with a Radeon 9700 Pro, or go for an AIW 9700? And for that matter, should I wait a few more weeks and get the 9800 series (I know they are out in limited supply now, hoping for a slight price decrease).

Also, if I get the AIW, is it suggested that I use the special component output dongle cable, or hook the VGA output to my VGA to component transcoder? And for that matter, is it better to run dual outputs, one into the component inputs, and one its the VGA port, for different uses? What I mean, play back HD streams through the component output, and do games/browsing through the VGA port?

Another point of confusion I have, there is a Radeon 9700 Pro, but is there an AIW 9700 Pro? I have not found an AIW 9700 listed with the "Pro" after it.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Howdy,

I have a Mits 65908, but I use an Nvidia card. ATI should present no problem. You need to use Powerstrip, software to set custom resolutions. I have tried many different settings, but found 960x540 is the best. Go to Digital connection website and look at FAQ. Karnis has a great article on setting up custom resolutions. As for HD viewing the MYHD card connects directly to tv with a loop to the video card.(to view full screen) Look again at Dig. Conn. website for setup of card HD tuner card. Your video card only really matters if you play games. Otherwise for just browsing,email, etc, most new cards will do (people usually recc. ATI 7500).

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby Baker
Greetings... I am in the planning stages of my HTPC right now. I have all but settled on the ATI cards, but not sure which one will work best for my setup. I have a Mits WS55511 HDTV with 1 1080i component input and 1 VGA port (supposedly locked at 640x480, but I think this is untrue?).

I plan to use a 4:1 component switcher (or AV receiver with component switching). I will want to use the HTPC mainly for DVHSTool, and playback of HD streams. Also, I will be using it to play certain games, and rarely to view a website or document. I was reading about some people having overscan issues with certain ATI cards, and certain monitors. Does anyone have a setup similar to mine and can comment?

______I would go with a transcoder since you need control over various resolutions for gaming. The ATi HDTV adapter is good if you only need 2 resolutions, one for desktop & one for DVD.

Also, which ATI card to get? Do I stick with a Radeon 9700 Pro, or go for an AIW 9700? And for that matter, should I wait a few more weeks and get the 9800 series (I know they are out in limited supply now, hoping for a slight price decrease).

__________I would go with a 9500pro and use the $$$ saved for a transcoder.

Also, if I get the AIW, is it suggested that I use the special component output dongle cable, or hook the VGA output to my VGA to component transcoder? And for that matter, is it better to run dual outputs, one into the component inputs, and one its the VGA port, for different uses? What I mean, play back HD streams through the component output, and do games/browsing through the VGA port?

_________See above. Again, transcoder is recommended for your use. VGA port is 640x480 on that model, I believe. For HD playback, you can use the loopback cable to switch between PC & HD.

Read the guide in my sig for more info.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.. I already own 2 transcoders, so I am set there. I can just save money :D

Karnis, you are suggesting configuration #3 correct, for the MyHD card. And are you suggesting just a plain 9500Pro? or an AIW flavor? or doesnt matter? thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in the processs of building MY HTPC and was looking for information on the ATI Radeon 7500 I currently own. I will be connecting this to a Panasonic 65" HDTV, that the only HD input on it is via component inputs. This leaves me with the only option of converting the SVGA signal to the proper component signal. My question is, will the HD Component/VGA Adapter sold by ATI be compatible with this card ?

According to their website they are only selling these with the intent of being used on an 8500 or higher. It seems to me it would work on any video card, but I also know I could be mistaken. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your quick response, I was afraid of that. I assume I will need an external converter (is that the same as a"transcoder" ?). Is there any that are most popular/recommended by the HTPC community ?

I also assuem that if I purchase one of these devices, I will then be able to use any video card I wish, such as my Nvidia Gefore 4 ti4200 ?

Thanks, sorry Im asking what are pry very simple and novice questions.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Key Digital is the recommended transcoder.

Audio Authority makes a lower cost alternative (no 720p).

Check www.digitalconnection.com for more info.

Both should work with your GF card, be aware you need Powerstrip software and a good working knowledge of it as well. Read the guide in my sig for more info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.