Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Tom's Hardware Hard News

Sources have indicated to us that ATI has elected to cancel the 3.3 Version of the Catalyst driver set, in favor of a version 3.4 release. ATI is looking to a May 12th-15th time frame for release of Catalyst 3.4.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are they going to pull our leg again and let us believe that Catalyst 3.x work fine with Radeon 7xxx cards?

About time they fixed the problems or just said in the download that Catalyst 2.4 / 2.5 is the final driver for Radeon 7xxx :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What problems are you having Steve? I am running Cat 3.2's with my AIW 7500 and it works great.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown
What problems are you having Steve? I am running Cat 3.2's with my AIW 7500 and it works great.
Installed Catalyst 3.2 on a completely stable 1 year old 24/7 HTPC (BX motherboard) and it caused so many problems it was unreal.

Multimonitor support vanished (selecting the second monitor gave a resolution of -1 -1 !

Overlay surface was non existant

When I clicked on Display properties a massive dialog box came up saying 'these drivers were written for a previous operating system, the VGA driver was therefore started..or some other bizarre type message. Makes me wonder if it really did start the VGA driver as I was quite happy playing DVD's even with that message and had a 1024x768 [email protected] 32bit.

Everytime I completely removed the 3.2 drivers to do a fresh install, the OS would now recognise my radeon 7xxx as a Radeon FSC, I had to go through a painful search of every .dll and .inf file the radeon had created in about 4 directories because windows xp file protection made installing older drivers non existant.

I have the HTPC working again with Catalyst 2.4 but ideally I need to reformat at a later date, because there are still some strange things going on, for example the max resolution I can set is 1024x768, although thats fine by me at the moment because that is its native signal. Also sometimes when I boot up now the second monitor gives out a garbled image, so I have to reboot, this is quite rare but does happen once every two weeks. The HTPC was 24/7 and completely error free but since Catalyst 3.2...

To be honest I was so ****** off with Catalyst 3.2 it seriously made me think again when buying a new Radeon 9800 when I get my new pc. I realise now that the new drivers are not meant for the old Radeon 7xxx or they simply have not been tested properly on older hardware.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The problem could be your chipset/drivers. My ATI 7000 DDR and my VIA KX133 chipset/drivers do not work together very well... this is a known problem with many of us who have this chipset with certain motherboards. I believe I had to stop at 2.7 (6166)

Now my HTPC has an ATI 7200 32DDR and a SiS735 chipset and works fine with Cat3.2

BTW, I might suggest that once your system is "perfect" NEVER install any drivers without first creating an image backup... I've learned this the hard way many, many times over.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monomer
The problem could be your chipset/drivers. My ATI 7000 DDR and my VIA KX133 chipset/drivers do not work together very well... this is a known problem with many of us who have this chipset with certain motherboards. I believe I had to stop at 2.7 (6166)

Now my HTPC has an ATI 7200 32DDR and a SiS735 chipset and works fine with Cat3.2

BTW, I might suggest that once your system is "perfect" NEVER install any drivers without first creating an image backup... I've learned this the hard way many, many times over.
Well Im running my HTPC on a intel BX chipset motherboard. Which is regarded as the most stable chipset ever built from intel :D . And it has been for 5 years until Catalyst 3.2 was installed. The OS is fine, its just weird display glitches as described above.

Btw I would steer clear of VIA chipsets period, to give you an idea how bad memory performance is on the VIA chipsets, I can nearly play HDTV clips on my old BX motherboard, on my 'newer' PC which I use for email/games/applications its actually slower!, even though the CPU is twice as fast on my VIA chipset motherboard main pc. Im ditching my main pc soon, intel all the way :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I had no problems with the Catalyst 3.x driverset on my old ATI Radeon VE 32MB too(aka Radeon 7000), and this is on an ECS K7S5A with a SiS735 chipset.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.