AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just like the title says. Frequently (but not always), if I connect to my HTPC via remote desktop connection, then logoff, when I go downstairs to where the TV is, aturn it on, I'll find the CCC settings all reset to default.

Specifically, the Avivo Basic Settings "Use Application Settings" gets checked, which resets to default the changes I make to brightness, contrast, video gamma, and maybe some others.

The HTPC has a single display (50" plasma 1080i Panny) connected via HDMI. This will usually be off when I connect via RDP (because I'm somewhere else in the house). Also, I'm connecting via a concurrent session (there's only a single user account on this HTPC).

All my settings are backed up into a Profile in CCC, so it's easy to go back and reactivate the profile, but this kinda messes up the WAF, neh?

Any ideas how to stop this annoying behavior? I'm using an ATI HD5670 with the RC2 drivers that were between 10.1 and 10.2 CCC release since 10.1 didn't support HD5670. Windows 7.

Sincerely,

Marc

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I also have an issue with CCC being messed up after I remote into my htpc, using a 5670 with 10.2. I never noticed if my settings were messed up. I normally just end up rebooting and it fixes it, have you tried that?

I get an error like this graphics adapter is not compatible with this version of ccc. It seems like its talking about the nvidia card in the computer I am using to remotely control. At least thats the only thing I could think of.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be that rebooting would fix it, but I'm trying to prevent it from happening. Kinda kills the WAF when apparently randomly the display is all messed up.

Maybe I can find a way to cause my desired settings to become the CCC defaults.

Good to hear that it's not my RC driver package... other than this everything is working fine so I'd rather not update drivers.

Anybody else have a suggestion?

Marc

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use concurrent session with an alternate account. This allows you to RDP while not interfering (or logging off) the primary account and prevents disrupting CCC settings. I'm using the 5670 on Win7 x86 and still the older RC2 driver I think from december.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I will try setting up an alternate account to use for remote access. Gotta remember how to make the main system auto boot into the primary htpc account though to spare wife the need to log on if the system reboots due to updates and whatnot.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G /forum/post/18290981

Thanks for the info. I will try setting up an alternate account to use for remote access. Gotta remember how to make the main system auto boot into the primary htpc account though to spare wife the need to log on if the system reboots due to updates and whatnot.

Type netplwiz in the Start / Search box.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I set up an alternate account on the HTPC.

However, when I remote into it, while my main account is still logged on (with the TV off, though I'm not sure this matters), then log off and turn on the TV, it uses the default CCC settings rather than the ones I've assigned to the display, and I have to reset them, either manually or through activating a profile that I've created with them.

Does anyone have suggestions other than remoting into a different account?

There's got to be a way to make sure that when I turn on the display, it automatically activates the profile I've define.

Any help appreciated!

Marc

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Blackcell,

Indeed, the method you refered me to is the one I'm using, and the RDP hack referenced there is the one I'm using.

I've got no problems performing the concurrent RDP, either to the same account or to the or the alternate one I set up.

It's just that after doing a remote session (which in my use case happens when I'm away from the HTPC, so the TV is off), when I turn the TV back on the CCC setings are messed up (reset to defaults).

It's far from the end of the world, as I can reapply the CCC profile, but it;s annoying to have to do so, and my wife doesn't know how to do that.

Any help appreciated.

Marc

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hmm, that is damn annoying. Haven't tried it with the TV off as my kids practically have the TV on 24/7 and I definitely understand the WAF. I'll try my setup with the TV off and see what happens.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
The problem is probably because you are using the concurrent connection. Your CCC is loading up twice on the same PC, once for the current connection and another when you concurrently log in. I had to revert back to regular RDP instead of the concurrent method due to auto-start programs conflicting.

I might try it out again, but remote most programs from msconfig.exe that will conflict. Another thing that you might do is just stop trying to connect so often. If this is for file management you can share the folders into a homegroup and when you move files around on another computer between homegroup shares the operations stay local. You won't be copying the movie from the HTPC to your wireless laptop back to your HTPC. It will do the entire operation on the HTPC.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason I remote in so often is I want to start a process such as MakeMKV or some other "video handling" program on the HTPC. USually in such a case I've already got my desktop PC doing something and need to use the HTPC to run the process. Happens a couple of times per week.

Maybe I can tailor the Remote login account to not load CCC.

Good thought.

Marc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts