AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my geforce 3 overheated and had a nuclear meltdown.

I had the gf3 running with the custom timings via powerstrip connected to a RGB to component transcoder, but was still able to see some refresh lines no matter how much i tried to tweak the settings.

Now that I have to buy a new video card, I was eyeing the Ati Radeon 9500 with DVI output and snagging the DVI to component adapter.

Anybody know if the Ati adapter method works better than using powerstrip and a trascoder?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I like the HDTV adapters - really easy to get up and running - but they are not as flexible as an external transcoder. That's part of their attraction though.

At just 30 bucks, you might want to get one just to decide for yourself which you like better.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
FWIW, I didn't much like the ATI adapter, and shipping is around $20, so you end up paying $50. Since you already have the transcoder, why not try it first with your new card? As you know, this forum has a lot of great information regarding powerstrip settings, as do the Entech forums .

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I ordered the adapter from ATI this week, only to get an email from ATIU saying that it's out of stock so they cancelled the order. How nice. They did not even bother to tell me when they would get more in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has anybody actually tried both?

and if they have what do they recommend?

The image i got up on my hdtv with the transcoder was not too clear and the text was still blurry, but media playback looked good except in dark scenes where i was able to see a scan line move up the screen very slowly. once i noticed it, i was not able to look away!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Regulator,

I had the same experience as you while using an external KeyDigital transcoder. The ATI adapter is easier to use, but DVD playback is limited to 480p, which is not the case with the transcoder.

As for your scan line, I found that was caused by the source and monitor not being on the same power circuit. Try to plug everything into the same power strip, or better yet, the same UPS.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.