AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a 9700PRO and a Mits WS-55809 with RGHBV inputs. Which way is better? The ATI Adaptor or using some VGA to BNC to RCA cables? Will be using powerstrip of course for timings.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The breakout cable from the VGA card to the Mits RGBHV is preferred. The picture quality is a little better, and you have more flexibility with your custom T & Rs by not using the adapter.

However, one advantage of the adapter is a correctly interlaced overlay for 1080i DVD playback. For $30, you may want to get it just to try it out. Read my last post in the guide in my sig for more info.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Breakout cable. Games don't use the video overlay. Only consider the adapter if DVD 1080i playback is important. You don't need a transcoder to connect to your Mits as long as your DTV input is configured as RGBHV.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought a VGA to RGB cable today from a local electronics store. The salesman told me that it would work fine but I've not hooked it up yet. My main goal is to play DVDs at 960x540p using the timings from the Karnis' guide. Should I have went with the transcoder instead?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
If your set has RGBHV connectors, you don't need a transcoder, just the breakout cable, and maybe some BNC-RCA adapters.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a mitsubishi 65819 and just the other day made a breakout cable by purchasing a bnc cable and some rca ends. i just snipped off the bnc connectors and soldered on the rcas - it only took about 15 minutes and i'm extremely pleased with the results. plus it was probably a lot cheaper than getting the cable plus 5 bnc > rca adaptors (not to mention nobody had the adaptors in stock...)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
If your set has RGBHV connectors, you don't need a transcoder, just the breakout cable, and maybe some BNC-RCA adapters.
Well I guess I don't have RGBHV connectors. So I'll have to take this back and spend the money on the transcoder. I really with I could just get DVI to work and save that money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.