AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused about the difference between ATI's $30 HDTV Component Video Adapter (for ATI cards 8500, 9500 and 9700 series) vs. Key Digital or Audio Authoity VGA to Component Transcoder. Do they operate the same? Does the ATI solution only play DVD at 480p max whereas (with Powerstrip) the Key Digital or Audio Authority $130 unit plays DVDs at any resolution?? If so, why?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
ATi has restricted output of DVDs to 480p when using the component dongle due to perceived issues with the DVD CCA. Using the component transcoder means the PC has no awareness of the change. It operates as expected and you can use it at any resolution.

I'd go with the Key Digital unit as it is lossless in the conversion and will give you more versatiliity. What display are you trying to work with?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The 480p limit is easily bypassed with macrovision blocking software.

1080i DVD is good. :D

Go for the dongle. Its cheaper and potentially better with the cleaner signal path.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Will the dongle described work for applications other than the ATI Card?

Here is why, I am looking for the best way to connect the component out of a progressive scan DVD player to the VGA (R G B H V) input on an NEC CRT Projector and the Audio Authority keeps popping up as a solution. Since both it and the dongle will work with the ATI card is the dongle ATI specific and the card helps it perform its function, or will it work in any component to VGA application?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have the ATI dongle but it creates a lot of overscan even with 640x480. To eliminate the overscan, I would have to change the resolution to 640x400.

Powerstrip doesn't help with the vertical overscan. Is this a physical limitation of the ATI dongle? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kharvel
I have the ATI dongle but it creates a lot of overscan even with 640x480. To eliminate the overscan, I would have to change the resolution to 640x400.

Powerstrip doesn't help with the vertical overscan. Is this a physical limitation of the ATI dongle? Thanks.
Per ATI the ver 2.4 and later of the catalyst drivers fix the problem. I haven't bought the Dongle yet for my 8500LE, so I can't be more specific.

Quote:
Q10: What are the limitations of ATI's HDTV Component Video Adapter for the initial release?

A10: Images are overscanned:

TVs overscan images, typically 5%, and this can result in part of the image being cut off the display. The amount of the image not seen will vary with each HDTV and between each timing chosen, for example more overscanning may be noticeable with 1080i than 480i. The effect is minimized with 720p, therefore, if your HDTV supports 720p, it is recommended to use this mode.

ATI has released a new version of the Catalystâ„¢ software. Catalystâ„¢ 2.4 addresses the overscan issue and can be downloaded from the web.
If you have these drivers and still have problems have you tried adjusting the overscan on your set in the service menu?

Stereodude

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
My question is how did any of you manage to buy it? The links on ATI's site take you to their online store which doesn't seem to actually have it.

Stereodude

·
Registered
212 Posts
To buy it at ATi's web site you go to the ATi store web site, select your country, select accessories and then go to the Radeon 9700. It lists all accessories for that including the HDTV-Component adapter.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rygy
To buy it at ATi's web site you go to the ATi store web site, select your country, select accessories and then go to the Radeon 9700. It lists all accessories for that including the HDTV-Component adapter.
Thanks.

I never thought to try that combination of things. I can't believe they have the guts to charge $15 to ship that little thing though.

Stereodude

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone compared the picture quality of the DVI to component dongle (for 8500DV) with the VGA to component dongle (for 8500 and 8500LE)? Since the cards are different, it is hard to make any statement about the respective dongles themselves, but is there any technical reason why one type of dongle is superior to the other?

Reference:

8500x ATI HDTV Adapters

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aldheorte
Has anyone compared the picture quality of the DVI to component dongle (for 8500DV) with the VGA to component dongle (for 8500 and 8500LE)? Since the cards are different, it is hard to make any statement about the respective dongles themselves, but is there any technical reason why one type of dongle is superior to the other?

Reference:

8500x ATI HDTV Adapters
That's an interesting question. I'd imagine they're the same since they're using the analog pins of the DVI connector.

Stereodude

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.