AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since DVI out isn't working with my Toshiba HDTV I have to but the HDTV dongle from ATI. Is this the one everyone is using? Click Here

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That's the DVI->component adapter. If you have one of the cards listed in bold on that page then that is the one you want. It is sometimes called the "purple dongle".

There is another one that they sell which is either blue or black (can't remember) that is VGA->component. That one is for the older cards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nightfly85

How's is that one different from this one for 20 bucks cheaper:

i think the top quote is in Canadian dollars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be careful to order the right one. I have an ATI 9600 AIW card and needed a transducer with component outputs. The ATI website is a bit misleading. They first sent me a DVI-component transducer that plugs directly into the graphics card. What I needed was the VGA-component version. This is so I can continue to use the DVI "octopus" connector that came with the graphics card, and be able to plug the transcoder into the VGA2 connection on the octopus. This was I can connect to all the other wires/onnectors on the octopus (like audio, etc..)

So the answer depends on your graphics card, and not just on the card's age. Mine is brand new and I needed the VGA-to-component adapter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Interesting. I was not aware that the VGA->component adapter worked with the 9600. There is a small army of 9600 users who get BSODs if they don't plug something into the VGA port. Those of us who are going DVI->component could benefit greatly from this information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's BSOD? (excuse my ignorance) Anyway, this works, I'm running 720p on my Sony KP-57hw40 and doing mostly desktop computer work on it, like video editting. The problem I'm having is that for some reason when you use VGA2 with the ATI component adapter, this disables the s-video and VGA1 outputs on the octopus. This is quite annoying as I have the s-video out going to my receiver and through that on to a VCR where I would like to record some of the videos I make. Writing CD/DVDs on the PC works fine, so that's what I do now, but for some of my kids school projects they need the result on VHS tape and I can't get that path to work. ATI customer support has been useless to help - just sent me a bunch of generic, non-related stuff.

I'm also trying to get clearer text. I'm not too happy with the result yet.. I will try different resolutions today..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
blue screen of death.

Whoah, you have two VGA ports? Maybe we're talking about different cards. Perhaps this is an AIW? I'm also unfamiliar with the term octopus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, I'll try to clear this up. This is an ATI 9600 AIW Pro. It has a DVI connector right on the card. The "octopus" is my name for the wiring harness that came with the card and connects into the DVI connector. ATI calls it the "ATI output adapter". This octopus has as outputs: VGA1, VGA2, s-video out, composite video out, S/PDIF out and audio out (RCA mini-plug). The docs say to use an ATI VGA-to-Component transcoder on the VGA2 output for use with HDTV.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ok, maybe I jumped the gun. I think I'll ask ATI what would happen if I put the VGA adapter on my 9600 non-pro non-AIW. Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wheeels
ATI customer support has been useless to help - just sent me a bunch of generic, non-related stuff.
This is why I'm loath to use ATI products again. I've had this same experience every time I've tried to deal with their customer support. The first time they ended up charging me to send me a CD that I already had. :( Grrr.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I just ordered the ATI DVI to Component adapter for my Radeon 9700 Pro. Will this work for a non AiW card? I'd hate to have to send it back. Anyone had luck with these?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
xxxfubar187xxx ,

--- you ordered the correct dongle for your 9700 pro [ NON-AIW ] .

--- Jason

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
Interesting. I was not aware that the VGA->component adapter worked with the 9600. There is a small army of 9600 users who get BSODs if they don't plug something into the VGA port. Those of us who are going DVI->component could benefit greatly from this information.
Interesting. I am using the ATI 9600 128MB AGP with no fan and VGA, S-Video, and DVI-D connectors on the back. I just booted up without _ANYTHING_ connected to the video adapter and my system boots fully without any problems. I know because I use VNC to access the desktop over my LAN. Can I presume now that I can go DVI direct to my Mits 55613 without having to 'fake' the adapter into thinking a VGA monitor is connected to it?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've never tried booting with nothing connected. I guess there are a few possibilities:

1) you have the newer firmware

2) the crash only occurs with only DVI and only Svideo

3) you are using the drivers from the CD that comes with the card, which seem to be have been tweaked by ATI to avoid the problem.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Thanks Jason this is good to hear. Now I hear the trick is to get it working without too much overscanning. If I get it working I'll post some pics, I need to test out my Canon A70 too.

Sean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.