Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running ATI DVD player 7.6 on a Pentium III 800. Configuration:

Pentium III 800 MHz

Intel VC820 with 256M RDRAM (also Intel boxed)

ATI 7200, latest drivers off the website (9031, I think)

Sound Blaser Live Platinum 5.1 (can't find anything newer than the CD)

Windows 98SE (only the basics)

Running Zoom 2.60 with the ATI Ravisent Cinemaster DVD filters (7.6)

The picture and motion is stunning with no judder or other problems at all, except that the player comes to a halt at random. It can be a couple minutes into a movie or almost near the end. The disc, chapter, etc. makes no difference at all and it doesn't crash in the same place twice. It makes me want to scream and take out the old Crystal Image again!

Most of the time when it locks up, you can CTRL-ALT-DEL and get the blue screen stating that the "system is busy". Sometimes you can get out, but Windows is messed up and locks up after that right quick. Sometimes, you'll get a message stating that there was an error in VxD EMU10K1, which I believe is the soundcard software.

This is a totally fresh, from the ground up installation. Windows then the Intel INF files, then Directx 8.1, then the ATI driver, then the Soundcard driver, then Powerstrip, then the ATI DVD player and then Zoom 2.60. There's nothing else in the system and the ports are all disabled. The system list is clean (no unknown devices) and the interrupt map has one device per interrupt (and also the ACPI).

Has anyone had the same problem and how did you fix it? Where are the latest Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 drivers for 98SE, or which ones should I use?

Is the new ATI player just a big buggy mess?

Thanks!

- GLupien

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the exact same config except for the processor (celeron 1000) and the board (shuttle via).

The picture just hangs without a reason (I made a fool out of myself in front of my friends, grrr).

Before we watched 3 dvds without a problem when using the windvd video filter... so I'm changing back to that one!

I wish ATI could get their software/driver act together.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I tried 9021 and the same problem persisted. Someone said the driver not to cause the freeze is 9016. I tried it and played a few movies without any freeze now. quite happy with the PQ!

CH Yeow

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where do you find this 9016 driver ???? I too have the same buggy ATI 7.6

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, please provide the link to that driver! I'm surprised that the video driver is what would cause the error in the sound driver.

Boy, I'm glad I posted. I was about to drop some significant money on a new motherboard and processor just in case it was the motherboard!

Anyone know why the video driver kills the sound card?

Thanks!

- GLupien

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I have used ATI cards for awhile now(My 4th generation card- 8500 ), IMHO the best website for drivers/forums is Rage3d.com, but Rage Underground also is pretty good. On Rage 3d there are a couple of guys that modify drivers ( use mix/match api's from different sets- and add utilities like refresh rate etc.....) By the names of Cyborg ( from Redsoftware ) and Omegadrive. They also have a website/Forum that is called Driver Heaven, that is really good for Q's. Below are the URL'S to these sites. The Rageunderground site has the 9016 drivers you are looking for. Check them all out, you be surprised at how far ATi's drivers have come.

http://www.driverheaven.net/
http://www.rageunderground.com/drivers.shtml
http://63.231.44.178/board/

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by melifluonze
The picture and motion is stunning with no judder or other problems at all, except that the player comes to a halt at random. It can be a couple minutes into a movie or almost near the end. The disc, chapter, etc. makes no difference at all and it doesn't crash in the same place twice.
I had that same problem, I finally solved it by swapping the memory from another computer.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
If any of you guys are looking for 98 or XP drivers I have a lot of 98 drivers ( I mean alot ) stored on my hard drive, and at least 5 XP Sets, they are not small drivers on average, but I have Cable, so if you have a decent ( broadband/dsl/t1) connection I am willing to do a file transfer ( Aol IM) if you can't find them somewhere else.

muzz

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, the link I posted points to a driver (9016) that seems to work well. The link is to the actual ATI site, so the driver is the original 9016 released by ATI. I've been playing with it for about two hours and I've not had a crash yet. I never made it through a DVD before with this player (not even close), so this may be the ticket! Thanks, CH Yeow!!! If I have a lockup of Zoom Player over the next few DVDs (days) I'll post again.

Glenn, thanks for the memory tip, however since this is an RDRAM system and all parts are direct from Intel, I sincerely doubt that is the problem (not that I implicitly trust Intel, but...). Things only started going south on this box when I installed the latest ATI, uh, stuff. It was great up to the change in software. I have experienced memory problems before, and you're right, it looks JUST like this.

Thanks!

- GLupien

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yup, guys. It is the official release from ATI.

BTW, I used a clean install of Win98SE, 7.6 and Zoomplayer 2.6. Powerdvd XP. System is PIII 450mhz on a BX chipset motherboard.

Very pleased with the PQ. :)

CH Yeow

Quote:
Originally posted by melifluonze
I think this is it. If it isn't the one, please let me know!

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...ON4139016.html

Thanks and I'll post when I've seen a few DVDs run through to the end without a problem.

- GLupien

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Get rid of 9031 or 9021 drivers. They will lock up the HTPC every time. I was going crazy trying to figure out why mine was locking. Especially because I had 2 other PC's will similar hardware that were fine. Then I realized I had different Radeon drivers on them. The HTPC had 9021 and the other 2 had 9012. I updated the 2 working systems to 9021 and they both would lock up at random times during DVD playback. Put them all back to 9012, put a DVD in each on A-B repeat and they were all still playing over 24 hours later. I should note that the lockups would only happen with ATI 7.6 or with Zoomplayer using Cineplayer vid filters. PowerDVD and WinDVD were both fine with the newer drivers.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
GLupien,

I would not be too fast to rule out memory. If you don't have any extra ram, try just a single chip. Several years ago I had another PC running fine for almost two years until I installed IE 5.0. Then the PC started to crash at random times, it took me almost another year of trouble shooting before I discovered it was the cache memory that was causing the problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can someone recommend the correct xp driver that fixes the buggy ATI 7.6

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Get rid of 9031 or 9021 drivers. They will lock up the HTPC every time. I was going crazy trying to figure out why mine was locking. I should note that the lockups would only happen with ATI 7.6 or with Zoomplayer using Cineplayer vid filters. PowerDVD and WinDVD were both fine with the newer drivers.
It looks like you're absolutly right! When I played "The Usual Suspects" on saturday it locked after 3 and 5 minutes (driver 9021). And by downgrading to 9016 it played all the way through :)

pq was good too, thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Blight posted the news and link that MS is releasing a patch for directshow. Is there a relation to the random freeze in XP?

CH Yeow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.