AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search on this problem under the heading ATI and Radeon and could not find anything. I thought I read something about this on one of the ATI/Radeon threads, but it didn't turn up. Anyway, I just noticed that certain scenes during DVD playback on the ATI player with my AIW Radeon jumps up and down briefly. I can duplicate this problem over and over on the same exact scenes. It occurs on my monitor, and PJ. Never noticed it before, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before! I thought maybe it had something to do with my new addition of a distribution amp (Extron). Removed it from the setup and I get the same thing. I looked over the settings in DVD Genie, and ATI player, and everything seems to be in order. Could this be some setting that needs hacking into the registry? Can someone please point me to the thread that might have already discussed this particular problem? Better yet...anybody have any idea on this one? Thanks in advance!

Gerald

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Could you explain what you mean by jumps up and down? Does the WHOLE picture appear to drop or rise?

Could you also list hardware specs please?

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P3 500MHz, 192 Mb RAM, AIW Radeon, M6TZA Biostar MB, Toshiba TDP 490 DLP PJ (Davis 450 clone), Toshiba SD-M1202, ATI 4.1 DVD player with MM 7.1 (whatever the current ATI players are), and DVD Genie V3.86. Played around with this last night and discovered that switching from smart detect to force weave on DVD Genie fixed it right up. I've always had smart detect selected before and had been using it for several months now, till this. I know it didn't use to this, for some reason it just started acting up. I figure it must be switching between force weave and Bob and causing the pix to move up and down. The movement is rapid, similar to a shaky (up and down motion) camcorder video. Yes, the whole image, along with the letterbox (black bars) drops down and rises rapidly.

Gerald

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Gerald:

___I am not sure of your DLP FP’s capabilities but can you move the refresh rate away from the std. 60/72/96/120 that you are using with PowerStrip for a quick look to see if the problem goes away? I had a modified G-10 D-ILA owner noticing an artifact/bounce at 72 Hz that went away when I had him move up to 72.1 Hz? We ended up at 48 Hz as his “Best out of the box†display/refresh rate for the custom T&R’s he is now using if that helps. It appeared as if his JVC modified DILA was not synching to the Radeon’s 72Hz refresh output exactly right whereas it did to my PC monitor at those same exact custom T&R’s and refresh rates and at a much lower bandwidth RP HDTV custom T&R just a few days prior. This could be the same with your own setup as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've certainly seen this exact thing. I normally leave the player on 'smart select' since it does a much better job than 'force weave' on the supplements and other video-based material.

However with smart select, on some movies, I see the pronounced vertical shimmering effect. A recent example is the movie "The Assignment". It was very easy to see on the opening credits. On most horizontal lines however you could see the whole thing oscillating up and down several scan lines worth. For that DVD, switching to 'force weave' took care of it.

I presume it's bad film-mode encoding on some of these disks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.