AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many versions back must one go to find a useful version of the ATI DVD Player? I reinstalled version 7.0, but it still locks the aspect ratio, rendering YXY ineffective (and relegating the player to being nothing more than a gee-whiz-isn't-this-cool toy instead of something useful).

With all the effort ATI puts into crippling this product, I have to wonder why they offer it at all.

Thanks, RD

[This message has been edited by rdunnill (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
RD,

Here is the deal with YXY (updated version) and the ATI player (4.0 and 4.1). YXY only partially works, it will resize the image but not change proportions like it can with WinDVD or PowerDVD. To get the correct proportions you have to have the porches set on PowerStrip just right. The other thing is that in the registry (HEX_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\ATI Technologies\\Multimedia\\DVD) the "WidescreenDisplay" parmeter must be set to "0" to get YXY to work at all.

On my system I have the PS set so I get the right proportions and about 3% overscan. For anamorphic DVDs I set "WidescreenDisplay=1" and run the ATI player with the window maximized (no YXY). For non anamorphic stuff I have "WidescreenDisplay=0", if its 4x3 then I run the ATI player maximized (no YXY), if its letterbox then I use YXY to fill the screen horizontally and run the ATI player windowed. For most appplications I don't use YXY, only for non-anamorphic letterbox stuff. Sounds complicated but once you get everything worked out its easier then using YXY all the time.

John Moschella

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.