AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just put my 5450 through a little testing.

desktop black and video black always match.

And get this...

YCrCb passes WTW and BTB.

Its levels are exactly as if it where a set top box, but photos games and the lot also look correct.

Holy grail of video levels achieved.

(side note the edid is all messed up and I can only get 60hz or 30i, 59.97 and 23.97 don't seem to work. my signal chain here is HTPC->Onkyo 705->Lumagen Radience->Toshiba TV).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also, 10.2 has an option in CCC under Video settings to fix the black levels. Full 0-255 makes all my colors perfect, no more grey blacks, they are perfect black and the rest of the colors seems to fall in place perfectly as well.

EDIT:

Its Avivo Video, Dynamic Range : Full Range 0-255

My Pixel format is yCbCr 4:4:4

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some people in the main 5000 series thread seem to report that the 5000 series ycbcr produces inaccurate colors and is actually worse than the 4000 series.

What's going on?

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptalent /forum/post/18208559

Some people in the main 5000 series thread seem to report that the 5000 series ycbcr produces inaccurate colors and is actually worse than the 4000 series.

What's going on?

That's me

See my observation:

I have done test for all pixel formats, and below is my observation:

1. all four pixel formats gives the same luma range (16-235) for desktop or any other RGB content.

2. With regards to video, both YCrCb 4:4:4 and YCrCb 4:2:2 gives luma range 0-255. However, the colour of them are wrong (I checked this with both colour filter and in-build colour meter).

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I'll check that tonight.

I've got an i1 spectrophotometer to measure color and a lumagen radience that can generate perfect color patterns.

Then I can use the AVS blu-ray test pattern disc in powerDVD to check that the blue from the lumagen is same blue from the 5450.

The lumagen also gives me a lot of diagnostic info regarding my actual pixel format, timing ect...

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18208725

well I'll check that tonight.

I've got an i1 spectrophotometer to measure color and a lumagen radience that can generate perfect color patterns.

Then I can use the AVS blu-ray test pattern disc in powerDVD to check that the blue from the lumagen is same blue from the 5450.

The lumagen also gives me a lot of diagnostic info regarding my actual pixel format, timing ect...

Cool, please let me know your result, thanks in advance.

My luma curve in grey dump test pattern is also strange, the luma doesn't start from 0 but instead from 2-3, could you also try that?

Rgs,

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96redformula /forum/post/18208522

Also, 10.2 has an option in CCC under Video settings to fix the black levels. Full 0-255 makes all my colors perfect, no more grey blacks, they are perfect black and the rest of the colors seems to fall in place perfectly as well.

EDIT:

Its Avivo Video, Dynamic Range : Full Range 0-255

My Pixel format is yCbCr 4:4:4

I also get solid blacks across the board with the same settings. 7MC and all my third party players behave as expected. For some reason they left DR unticked as default in this driver set 10.2, first thing I did was tick that sucker and that was the only adjustment I did for btb/wtw other than adjusting the brightness/contrast in CCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18208335

So I just put my 5450 through a little testing.

desktop black and video black always match.

And get this...

YCrCb passes WTW and BTB.

Its levels are exactly as if it where a set top box, but photos games and the lot also look correct.

Holy grail of video levels achieved.

(side note the edid is all messed up and I can only get 60hz or 30i, 59.97 and 23.97 don't seem to work. my signal chain here is HTPC->Onkyo 705->Lumagen Radience->Toshiba TV).

I can still run my 46" LX177 at 23.976 and all other refresh rates 59.97/60Hz. But I didn't do any EDID overides either XFX 5670 plays nice with my Pioneer SC-07 and it idles at the proper clock speeds from 157 to 400/775 MHz when playing any video/game. So it's throttling properly along with my i5 cpu.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
OK, I have been trying to follow this through the 3 different threads. Can someone put up a synopsis?

I am a layman wrt this stuff. I just want to know what checkboxes and dropdowns to select in the CCC to get the best picture for BR and DVDs. Desktop is not a concern for me, and everything is done inside 7MC and TMT3.

Right now, I am using RGB, have the range set to 0-255, and have my AVR set to Expanded RGB.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YCrCb 4:4:4

dynamic range 0-255

TV should assume correct range based on YCrCb

and then turn all CCC enhancements off, leave color control up to the app or force them to neutral settings.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18212483

dynamic range 0-255

and then turn all CCC enhancements off, leave color control up to the app or force them to neutral settings.

Are the colorspace settings retained across reboots w/ 10.x? I was never able to get it to remember w/ 9.x.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18212483

dynamic range 0-255

Thanks for the tip I get better results this way and then making final adjustments in the TV.

Edit:

After ticking default and starting over and setting my TV back to it's original settings I had. Ticking DR and DC get's the levels right without having to tweak the TV at all.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk /forum/post/18208373

Mind telling me your drivers and settings?

I too set up a 5450 tonight. On a 1080i I get "dither" blocks on solid colors.

replying to my own request in case it helps anyone....... I used the shark007 codec pack w/ "shark007 suggested settings" and it looks like it fixed me up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts