AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered somewhere on this site many times over but every search I do leaves me more lost than the last. I have a HTPC running a ATI HD 5670 and I am using PowerDVD 10 Ultra to watch my Bluray and DVD movies. I do not know what settings I have need to make this look more like HD and not SD. It seems that all my Bluray disks have a lot of noise in them and I dont even want to mention my DVD playbacks. As a quick note, it seems that ATI and PowerDVD is a match made in hell. On my desktop DVD's look TERRIBLE. If I use VLC is video looks more tolerable. Anyway, back to the more pressing questions.

To let you know, I have tried adjusting just everything I can find in CCC with very little effect. The only thing that seems to remove the noise I see is to adjust the noise options in CCC but that just seems to blur the image and remove detail. I tried dynamic range 0-255 and 16-235. My TV looks great with a stand alone Bluray player so I know the issue is not with my HDTV, which is a JVC HD-56JC97 if that matters. Is there a thread on this board that gives me the basic setup needed for an ATI 5670 for HD content? I just ordered an Nvidia GT430 (only cost $80) to test NVidia out since my experience with video quality for DVD's has been much better with Nvidia in the past. I love my ATI for gaming but video playback is much more touchy with ATI. I am more apt to blame the drivers than the hardware but its a real pain. I am hoping to make this HTPC looks close to a stand alone player and I am sure this is possible with the right adjustments, I am just lost as to what they those adjustments need to be. Please help me turn this into a HD experience and not a SD one

·
Registered
764 Posts
1. What drivers are you using (from disc with card or AMD website)? There should be posts here where people have done TONS of research on which drivers work best.

2. Are you using HDMI to HDMI connection? If so, try a DVI/HDMI adapter to HDMI connection and see if the PQ gets better. If it does, then it's HDCP.

3. Are you using an AVR? If so, what kind and what kind of cables are being used and how?

Information is your friend. :p

BT

·
Registered
4 Posts
#1 - which OS?

#2 - Have you seen your GPU usage above 0% in CCC?

#3 - Have you seen high CPU usage?

#4 - what is your resolution??

You probably need to enable GPU acceleration in Power DVD. Without proper drivers, software and codecs no windows platform will use hardware acceleration to the GPU. If there is no GPU usage then there is no hardware acceleration.

XP - mirillis splash player lite + codecs (can't remember) - 4670 @10-20% GPU

Vista - MCE or PowerDVD+ Shark Codecs

Win7 - MCE + Shark Codecs - 5550 @ 30-60% GPU (max'd settings)

I used a ATI4670, P4 2.8C on XP Pro using mirillis splash player lite (free) and got flawless 1080P playback from BD Rips. I wanted a new PC and went win 7.

Personally if you installed your drivers from a disc, uninstall all drivers then reboot. then install most current drivers from ATI website and then go from there.

Need more info to help you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions, I am deployed for the next two weeks so I will give you some info and then will have to wait to try your suggestions once I get home.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and I believe CCC 10.7. I have an AVR in between the computer and the TV but I bi-passed the AVR to test the video without any change. Since I posted this I did recalibrate my TV which helped a decent amount since I had sharpness up way too high. I still am not happy with the quality of the video. I had the Shark codec pack installed but recently uninstalled it to try and narrow down what the issue might be. I think I had GPU acceleration checked in PowerDVD but I cant verify it at the moment. As for CPU usage I didnt notice anything abnormally high but once again I will have to check it out again to confirm that for you.

As for my connections, I am using HDMI for all my connections. I just ordered some new cables from BlueJeans but I havent had a chance to hook them up. I know they should not affect the pic quality since the cables I have are the same ones I used with my Bluray player previously. I will also try another round of driver updates for CCC since I used 10.7 based on a suggestion I read in another thread. I have to adjust for underscan and I read that 10.7 was one of the versions that had that option in CCC. Due to poor design of the CCC interface its hard to find that option which was probably there with the newest version but I didnt realize where to look until I had already switched to 10.7. My GT430 will be waiting on me once I get home too so I will be very busy testing both cards out again. I appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts