57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else seeing anything like this?

I've just got a new Dell XPS 420

(Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1)

includes an ATI HD 3650 graphics card

(am using the latest 8.6 driver set)

using ZP 6 RC2, ffdshow

I see a 1-pixel border around the outside edge of any video which seems to be some sort of wrap-around (i.e. if something bright is on the right hand side, there will be a similar single-pixel of brightness in the matching vertical postion on the left-hand side) - same goes for top/bottom

the ONLY way I've been able to get around this so far is to mandate the use of the 'VMR9 Renderless renderer' - this doesn't exhibit this weird wrapping behaviour (all other renderer selections do) - in addition, most other renderers seem to look blocky/pixelated compared to only a couple that look smooth (EVR also looks smooth, but suffers the 1-pixel wraparound issue)

I have a slightly older Dell (Dimension 9200, also running Vista Home Premium) with an ATI X1300 and I see no such issues

any help or similar experiences out there??!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've seen that problem too. I'll have to play around with the different rendering modes when I get a chance.

I see the problem when using Media Portal and the source video needs to be scaled (I.e. not 1920x1080). If I use an ffdshow filter to scale to 1920x1080 first I see no such problem. It almost sounds like a VRM scaling problem.

Here's my system setup:

ATI HD 2600XT

Win XP professional

I'll update this post when I check my ATI driver version

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot for the feedback phigment

a lot of this stuff (renderers in particular) is still quite new to me and I never appreciated there were different ones!

I didn't consider trying ffdshow scaling - I will try that myself too and see if it makes the problem go away

so just to be clear, when you say a VRM scaling (did you mean VMR?) problem, does that mean the problem lies in the graphics card itself (or at least its driver)?

thanks - will report back

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic144 /forum/post/14335060

thanks a lot for the feedback phigment

a lot of this stuff (renderers in particular) is still quite new to me and I never appreciated there were different ones!

I didn't consider trying ffdshow scaling - I will try that myself too and see if it makes the problem go away

so just to be clear, when you say a VRM scaling (did you mean VMR?) problem, does that mean the problem lies in the graphics card itself (or at least its driver)?

thanks - will report back

Yes, sorry, typo. I don't know much about the different renderers, but I think there is EVR(newest) and overlay (obsolete) as well. I believe it is up to the application for which type to use.

Maybe somebody more knowledgeable could chime in to whether the scaling in VMR and EVR is the card's responsibility, or whether it's a software implementation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hopefully get some other feedback too!

just to clarify - I tried all of the renderer's available to choose thru ZP - VMR Renderless was the ONLY one I could find that didn't exhibit this problem - legacy ones and even EVR did exhibit this problem, as well as the non-renderless (!) VMR9's

·
Registered
348 Posts
I also had this problem with my ATI card when I used EVR mode in MPC-HC and Mediaportal. However, it went away if I use EVR Custom in MPC-HC.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
observations

yup, resize (monitor default width 1200 pixels) seems to work in ffdshow, though the CPU goes up from about 7% to 20+% for a typical scene .xvid release (might affect 1080p .mkv's adversely, even on this workhorse)...

Selecting NV12 as the only output colour space seems to work with EVR - so that's good. The colors seemed washed out though. Selecting RGB32 as the only output colour space with EVR seems to take care of both the edge pixels scaling issue AND the black level issue (for my attached LCD monitor).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8.7 drivers just came out today - no fix tho!

hmmm, also noticed that full-screen black-bars on WMP are grey with this setup (as in another instance of the wrong luminance scale)... I don't remember that being the case with the X1300 on my other Dell Vista box - a tragicomedy of errors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not simply using a newer ATI driver, no...

up to 8.8 now and no improvement

the solution I stuck with was using the RGB32 colour space as the only output from ffdshow (along with the EVR renderer) on my LCD monitor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts