AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with my ATI HD5450 Card outputting Video and Sound over HDMI. It works well except that everytime I reboot I get the "ATI HDMI Output" is "Not Plugged In". I can get it working just fine by simply pressing "Diasable" then "Enable" in the Driver tab but this is a pretty ordinary workaround.

Any ideas on how to "fix" or a scripted workaround that will "Disable" then "Enable" the device on boot-up?

Thanks

Nathan

Systems - Win 7 (32-Bit), ASUS P6T Mobo, using the Onboard Reltek Analoge Sound output for Zone 2 audio, to a Yami V2700 (with DVI Detective+ in the chain to maintain EDID info)

Note: If I use the Realtek driver there is no issue but I need to now use the ATI driver as the latest version on TMT does not work with the Reltek on

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It happens on my system too.

I simply unplug the HDMI cable (either at the PC or at the Receiver) and plug it back in.

Don't want to mess with drivers or any other workaround since everything else is working fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uggg - my cables are not that accessable and it would also fail the W/KAF. I can not believe that this is happening to all ATI users so there must be something to tweak!

Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
this is not a fix but a workaround. You can use devcon.exe , which is a command line tool, to enable/disable devices. Here is a 32-bit version that could work for you. If it doesn't you can try this one but I have a hunch it's the same one. Or, try the Windows Driver Kit which may come with updated devcon (supposedly comes with an updated AMD64 one). It's a 620MB download though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy you are a genius! The following two lines work when run from a bat file.

devcon disable "HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100"

devcon enable "HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100"

The only issue is how to run them nicely (or a s'cut etc) during Windows boot as decon requires administrator access to run. I'm just playing with Windows Scheduler at present.....should not take long....

Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - Thanks to Andy O here is a workaround that looks good! Here is the guts of the Task Scheduler details that works for me (note: you will need to check your HW ID for the ATI card).

Thanks

Nathan

1) Download and extract DEVCON

2) Create a Task in "Task Scheduler" and on each tab:

* General: Check "Run with highest privileges"

* Triggers: At log on

* Action: (you will need to add two "Start a program" with the following):

- Program: C:\\Users\\....\\Devcon\\devecon.exe

- Add Arguments: (for the first) disable "HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100"/ (for the second) enable "HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100"

- Start in: C:\\Users\\....Devcon

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Nice. I wasn't sure how to bypass the UAC prompt since I've always had it disabled. One caveat though. Those running 64-bit might have to download the full 620 MB kit above to get the AMD64 devcon.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've also e-mail ATI on the issue so it will be interesting what (if anything) they come back with

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
By the way, stupid question but have you tried without the DVI Doctor? You might find that you don't need it anymore. I'm still running pretty good without the HDMI detective. Aslo, do you have a detective (Gefen) or a doctor (monoprice)?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just tried tried removing the DVI Detective+ (my bad it's not a "Doctor") from the chain and the good old issue of turning off the Receiver or switching imputs while playing a Video/Audio (eg a DVB-T) is still present. Eg - while the monitor was "not there" reclock popped up a message about the Audio Format not being supported and the video was changed to a smaller image but at least it did not crash/freeze (like the "old" days) and the sound and video were still playing. I'll keep my DVI Detective+ in the chain!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI - This seems to have resolved itself (presumably with one of the recent Catalyst Releases) and the workaround is no longer needed.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I was looking at the release date of your above ATI driver and I think you're correct... although it may not be so much the ATi HDMI Audio driver as the issue with ATi and EDID on the HD5xxx cards that was fixed earlier this year (10.4 or so)...

I have the HD 4550 and use Catalyst 10.7 and the (latest) ATi HDMI Audio driver without the RealTek driver and have been rock solid - I had been occasionally losing the Audio half of the HDMI getting a popup that my HDMI to DVI cable *blah* blah* blah* and I was using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI cable... ever since using the ATi (not RealTek) driver this hasn't occurred!

It's amazing how having operational drivers cures these odd occurances :)

·
Registered
619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone /forum/post/19208714

Uggg - Upgraded to the Cat 10.9a and the bug is back (though the fix still works)

You didn't specify your previous driver version but I was seeing this with v10.8 on a Win 7 64bit system with a 5850 card and a Denon 2809CI receiver. I was previously running v10.4

I also submitted a bug report through the official channel . Did you?

Until they get more than one or two bug reports they won't even acknowledge it. And it goes without saying that ONLY posting in internet forums will NEVER get the bug fixed.

My workaround for the problem is to power off/on my Denon 2809ci receiver but it is annoying to be sure.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I just loaded 10.9 32-bit Win 7 and haven't had enough time on the system to confirm it's back... I'm running the HD4550 using the ATi HDMI Audio driver... been using 10.7 since it came out although as I recall there was no update to the ATi HDMI Audio driver in that suite from what I had been using - some are saying there IS a new HDMI Audio driver in the 10.9 suite which is expanding the sound-check to 5.1 (over simply the 2-channel L+R) and others are speaking of audio *pops* in their sound... so maybe doing a custom install and unchecking the HDMI Audio is better? OH, you could go into your System Devices and rollback the driver on the HDMI Audio device!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks almostinsane! I can confirm it fixes the issue on my HTPC (no idea how we did not see the hotfix till now -

i3c - the hotfix page will auto select the OS version detected. eg I had to do the DL from my HTPC (32-Bit) as my "main" PC is 64-Bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi

I've been redirected here from a post from another website but i'm not sure what this application do and if it will fix my own issue

My issue is simple:

I have an Asus Gefore GTX 550, a second monitor (my TV) is connected by the HDMI output.  If i turn on my computer and my TV, i do have access to my HDMI sound and video output.

If i decide to change the source on my TV, for exemple play with my xbox for a while...a lapse of time enought for Windows to show the audio disconnected, then change the TV output back to my computer, my display will be available but my HDMI sound output will show as disconnected.

I can either, reboot my computer, put it to sleep and wake it back or unplug and plug back the HDMI cable for the sound to be detected again.  Any other attempt won't work...for exemple disable and re-enable the HDMI audio

Am i in the right place or is this the right software.

Anyone else have this issue, do you think it's NVidia, Asus or Microsoft Windows that needs to fix this?!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeliusMefyrx  /t/1234612/ati-hdmi-output-sound-driver-not-plugged-in-after-reboot#post_24260803

Hi

I've been redirected here from a post from another website but i'm not sure what this application do and if it will fix my own issue

My issue is simple:

I have an Asus Gefore GTX 550, a second monitor (my TV) is connected by the HDMI output.  If i turn on my computer and my TV, i do have access to my HDMI sound and video output.

If i decide to change the source on my TV, for exemple play with my xbox for a while...a lapse of time enought for Windows to show the audio disconnected, then change the TV output back to my computer, my display will be available but my HDMI sound output will show as disconnected.

I can either, reboot my computer, put it to sleep and wake it back or unplug and plug back the HDMI cable for the sound to be detected again.  Any other attempt won't work...for exemple disable and re-enable the HDMI audio

Am i in the right place or is this the right software.

Anyone else have this issue, do you think it's NVidia, Asus or Microsoft Windows that needs to fix this?!

some stuff to read:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512406/nvidia-hdmi-audio-not-plugged-on-problem

and
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387832/htpc-tweaks-and-fixes

Reactions: AngeliusMefyrx
1 - 20 of 20 Posts