AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the ATI HDTV component adapter with the hope of using the component video switching that my receiver has built in.

I have a Radeon 9500 that is flashed to a 9700 and overclocked to the speed of a 9700 Pro.

The component adapter works not quite how I would like it to.

There is a DIP switch on the adapter for 16:9. The paper that came with the adapter says it will do 4:3 when this switch is in the off position. Unfortunately, the switch seems to have no effect on the aspect ratio at all. Unless I output 720x480p, which I would prefer not to due to the large desktop size, then the output is always in a 16:9 aspect ratio. This wouldn't be a problem, except video playback is really screwy.

Playing back a 4:3 video results in the 4:3 picture being displayed in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

I remembered zoom player has aspect ratio adjustment, but that doesn't work quite right either.

I would really like to get 720p to work. I could live with desktop looking stretched if video would play back with the proper aspect ratio.

I am using an InFocus X1 projector.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Research shows the X1 is a 800x600 LCD PJ. This is 4:3 and when you want to see 16:9 it simply does not use (or places the pixels in blackout mode) the upper/lower 75 pixels (150 total) for an 800x450 16:9 image.

What player are you using for your video? You need to drive the display with a 4:3 signal from your PC and let the player make the picture fit that Aspect Ratio.

What happens if you feed the X1 with a 1080i signal from a STB or an OTA receiver? Does it automatically use the 800x450 in the center? If so, then you need to setup two profiles in the ATi CCC and activate them seperately when you do 4:3 desktop (800x600) versus 16:9 (1280x720p) DVD playback. You may find that 1184x664 (720p timing) works best to minimize overscan -- this is all available in the Catalyst 5.7 driver set and their .NET-enabled CCC.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The X1 is an 800x600 DLP (not LCD) projector - a minor and inconsequential detail.

The X1 has two aspect ratio settings, 16:9 and 4:3. If you feed it 16:9 and set the aspect ratio to 4:3, it stretches the 16:9 signal to fit into 4:3. Similarly, if you set the X1 to 16:9 and feed it 4:3 it will display the 4:3 image in the 16:9 space.

If you feed it an aspect ratio and set the projector to the same ratio, it correctly displays the ratios.

Also, I can only set the output resolution to a few combinations:

480p, 720p, and 1080i. Other resolutions, such as 800x600 or 10244x768 work (both 4:3), but do not display properly. For example, if I output 800x600 using component, then the image doesn't fill the entire screen and is fuzzy (timing issues I assume). Those resolutions are not ATSC or component supported resolution, hence they do not display properly.

720p is fine if I set the X1 to 16:9. Eveything works great. However, I would like to utilize my full screen for 4:3 content. If I stretch the 16:9 output to 4:3 using the X1, then the 4:3 video is played inside of the 16:9 frame and then stretched to 4:3 resulting in a vertically and horizontally distorted image. If I leave both the output and the X1 as 16:9, the full potential of my screen and projector is not realized on 4:3 content because the 4:3 video, although unstretched is play inside my 4:3 screen in a 16:9 frame that contains a 4:3 video.

The only resolution that correctly display 4:3 and 16:9 is 480p, which makes logical sense. However, that resolution is too large for my liking.

If I output a 4:3 resolution through VGA, I have no problems.

In short, I would like the adapter to output 4:3 (without stretching it) just like the VGA port would.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am considering buying an InFocus X1 in the near future for my first home theater setup and I had a concern that directly relates to this thread. However, after reading your posts I'm a little lost.

My question is this. Since the X1 is 4:3 native and not 16:9 native, when I feed it a an HDTV signal (which is always 16:9 I believe) and switch the X1 to output to 16:9 is there a problem? I would like to save a few hundred bucks by getting the X1 instead of the InFocus 4805 which is 16:9 native.

Additionally, you said that "the only resolution that will display 4:3 and 16:9 correctly is 480p." Are you saying that I cannot watch HDTV and HD movies in 16:9 at 1080i?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Television viewing works beautifully at all aspect ratios. The problem is outputting component from the computer to the X1. As an X1 owner, I can assure you that you will have no issues with watching HD content on the X1.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I wasn't indicating there was a problem in the stretching of the material when various Aspect Ratios are fed into the unit; but that the DPL panel's resolution is underutilized whenever you feed the 4:3 native a 16:9 image to display. Eventhough the unit can accept the common 720p, 1080i timing, the resolution of the image is ALWAYS limited by the pixel count of the panel.

It is true that 16:9 material is displayed withing the 4:3 area, right? This means you're only utilizing an 800x450 pixel image -- barely better than 10-y/o CRT technology and a far cry from the current state of the art. One should ALWAYS select the PJ with the panel AR they plan to display -- to maximize image quality. Displaying alternate AR simply uses black pixels to augment the image, thus reducing the pixel count of the displayed image.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have any of you actually fed a 720X480 resolution from the computer to your X1? I have, and an interesting thing happens. The X1 picks up the resolution as 848X480. I am feeding the X1 via a straight through VGA cable. I assume this has something to do with anamorphic DVDs or something, not sure, but I'm just talking about viewing the regular WinXP desktop at 720X480 on the X1. It detects the signal as 848X480.

I have the 6600 GT nvidia video card so I can send all kinds of weird resolutions, 720X480 is one of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.