AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4139 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by tji
I'm not sure what you mean by DX9 specific calls for DxVA. What was added for MPEG2 processing in DxVA for Dx9?


ATI has had acceleration in their cards for a long time now. But, even with DxVA, that's a much different processing situation than with a full hardware decoder like the MyHD.


DxVA (at least the older DxVA) just addresses parts of the MPEG2 processing, the iDCT (Inverse Discrete Cosine Transform) and motion compensation. There is still a lot of work done by the CPU, and a lot of data going across the PCI and AGP bus.

I have no real idea. It was the only possibility I could think of to explain why they would pick the 9500 as a minimum requirement. The biggest difference between the 9500 and previous Radeons is that the 9500 has DX9 support in hardware. So I was guessing that whatever they have done with the new HD card requires such a feature....


RG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
That IS the $64k question.

... and not a question left unasked by me when I decided to order the myHD card while I can. My soon to be LCD/HDTV HP monitor (waiting shipment) doesn't support HDCP either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,321 Posts

Quote:
My soon to be LCD/HDTV HP monitor (waiting shipment) doesn't support HDCP either.

Nearly none of the LCD PC monitors with DVI support HDCP, which is going to become a problem in the future. Well, at least all have VGA.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,879 Posts
Which is interesting, given how so many of the recent LCD projectors do. *shrug*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
will this card support true PVR capabilities. i.e. watch one program while recording another (maybe same). none of the existing HDTV seem to support this capability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,321 Posts
Licensing for several hundred thousand monitors can get very expensive, especially if the feature is not used and little understood.


What will be interesting in the future is the consumer that will expect this stuff to work because they don't understand HDCP.


So, is there any real information available yet on BF? I thought that you could still record to hard disk but the data would somehow be watermarked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Kei Clark
Licensing for several hundred thousand monitors can get very expensive, especially if the feature is not used and little understood.


What will be interesting in the future is the consumer that will expect this stuff to work because they don't understand HDCP.


So, is there any real information available yet on BF? I thought that you could still record to hard disk but the data would somehow be watermarked.

I'm wondering if there will be class action lawsuits filed by people that are promised HD, advertised HD, pay for HD, but end up getting down rezed material because they have older equipment that isn't HDCP compatible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts

Originally posted by HDTVFanAtic

____________________________________________________________


As this uses the same basic interface updated for HDTV as the AIW, you cannot use a 9800 AIW and this card together at the same time.


I am not sure if that means it will work with a 9800 AIW as the main video card or not.

____________________________________________________________



What's up with this? I bought the over-priced hot enough to fry an egg on AIW 9800 because I was led to believe from the previews that the ATI HDTV card would only be available for use with newer AIW cards.


Even though the Micro$oft guys are probably on this forum to push their agenda. At least they are hear to answer questions and get input. Where are the ATI guys when you need a straight answer? Oh yeah, counting those record profits!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
I still don't think the big question is what happens with the broadcast flag goes up. The hardware will still work, they just may be limited on how many they can sell from that point forward. The big question is....

.....Will it support QAM?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,246 Posts
Wish you guys (and gals) had asked me this while I still in Vegas. Great questions but I Just got home. I tried to think of everything I could while there - but I will admit I missed some issues.


As I think I stated, I told ATI I thought they had great hardware but their software sucked from my experiences - though most people I know believe the software for the 9800 AIW was a quantum leap for them.


As for QAM, I doubt it, as they said it was only going to do OTA broadcast in HD. It does have the 2 connectors on the back just as MyHD does (one for OTA, the other for a cable box).


I LOVE my MyHD card and would actually buy more of them (and still might if the side by side comparison of the ATI HDTV Wonder Card proves MyHD is better). I just continue to have annoying software issues.


If ATI doesn't have those issues and the same or better Quality at a lower price, then I'm gone.


As many have noted, the ability to stop live HDTV and pick it up without loosing anything is a key here over the MyHD card for most people used to TIVO.


OK....for the Overscan issue - this actually has nothing to do with the HDTV Wonder, but the 9500+ Radeon Family. Yes, you can use powerstrip now. The latest Radeon drivers released allow you to customize the settings more than in the past. Broadcast norm was for 15% overscan, so that's what they provided for Industry Spec.


They realize that now people have this issue on the HTPCs and intend to have settings in forthcoming drivers for the Radeon Family that will allow you to get rid of the problem completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Jagercola
Will it support QAM?

I think this article was linked in other threads here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1528445,00.asp



The card uses the NXT2004 chip, which is QAM capable.


The software for this card is being developed in ATI's silicon valley office. One of the people involved has posted on a SF Bay area HDTV forum. He can't provide much information, but when asked about the QAM capabilties, he pasted the line from the above article saying the NXT2004 is QAM capable. Not a definite answer.. but a pretty strong hint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts

Quote:
As this uses the same basic interface updated for HDTV as the AIW, you cannot use a 9800 AIW and this card together at the same time.


I am not sure if that means it will work with a 9800 AIW as the main video card or not - or just the TV features of the AIW. I could see how the hardware might conflict.

I think what was probably meant was no dual-tuner MulTView for picture-in-picture.


They said in the press release that it should be out in April. I find this disappointing that it's not coming out in April, but then from a quality perspective, it is good that they're doing the right thing polishing up the drivers (4-6 weeks) instead of just releasing it as they have done in the past.


A $110 MSRP would be remarkable if true.

Quote:
So, is there any real information available yet on BF? I thought that you could still record to hard disk but the data would somehow be watermarked.

Watermarked? Downrezzed to DVD quality? I wish I just knew what to expect.


I wish I knew if anyone had any intention of making a BF-compatible card. Some caveats with such a card would be: Media Center/ AccessDTV-like encryption of recordings and tying to the PC recorded on/card recorded with. That said, we enthusiasts would still at least enjoy the rights to our TV viewing that we expect.


Intel's very latest (maybe some AMD stuff too) supports an encryption method in the chipset itself by way of a "Trusted Platform Module". This is supposedly a method of DRM. Presumably if the tuner card was designed with a compatible cipher chip, the PCI bus transactions would be secure. And since the AGP bus is separate and uses only a single video card, maybe the tuner card and Trusted chipset/CPU would be the only considerations. ...or maybe you would need a Trusted video card too. Maybe you would need the next generation Windows too, but maybe it'll happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by tji
I think this article was linked in other threads here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1528445,00.asp



The card uses the NXT2004 chip, which is QAM capable.


The software for this card is being developed in ATI's silicon valley office. One of the people involved has posted on a SF Bay area HDTV forum. He can't provide much information, but when asked about the QAM capabilties, he pasted the line from the above article saying the NXT2004 is QAM capable. Not a definite answer.. but a pretty strong hint.

If it was intended to have QAM support in the software don't you think ATI would be shouting it from a mountain top? It would be a dumb move not to do so!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
If it was intended to have QAM support in the software don't you think ATI would be shouting it from a mountain top? It would be a dumb move not to do so!

Cliff is most likey right on the money.


I was standing beside a person who lived on Maui and he asked if the HDTV Wonder would do cable. She replied "no that the FCC said 100% of the US Population could receive at least 1 HD signal" (That number is not right, btw).


I jumped in and said that as far as I know, Oceanic Time Warner has some HD signals in Honolulu, the OTA stations have not gone HD in Anchorage or Honolulu because of the Government Monitoring Station and low level of interference they require in these 2 markets. This has also stalled HD Radio in these markets.


I stated I was aware that a translator on the Big Island in Hilo had gone HD, however I did not believe the translators on Maui were HD yet.


The only reason I bring this up is that she never jumped in and said "we have plans to support QAM" or anything that would have given this guy any hope of this working.


Thus, I believe her statement of only supporting OTA broadcast is pretty accurate for the future.


I can also tell you I asked about a HDTV AIW - and while they would not discuss future products - the did indicate that if it happened, it would not be this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Cliff, Perhaps you can't answer this but I'm going to ask anyway: 1. Is there any plan for a MyHD-150? (name your favorite number - card with improved h/w for either decode or more sensitive reception) OR 2. Will the MyHD-120 be available off shore and still shipable to a US address?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveRo
Cliff, Perhaps you can't answer this but I'm going to ask anyway: 1. Is there any plan for a MyHD-150? (name your favorite number - card with improved h/w for either decode or more sensitive reception) OR 2. Will the MyHD-120 be available off shore and still shipable to a US address?

SteveRo,


1) MIT has not told me of any plan to release a different card.


2) I'm sure MyHD will still be made and sold somewhere after that date.
 
21 - 40 of 4139 Posts
Top