AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got my new speakers, the onkyo 606 receiver and a hd4350 graphics card. So I connected, but of course, no sound could be heard. Try to install all kind of different audio drivers, and at last, about after an hour the audio just started.

The problem is that later this evening when I wanted to listen again it's dead again and I just cant seem to get the audio over hdmi working what ever I do. The more I try, the more frustrated I get.

So please, if anyone could help me that would be extremely appreciated. I have pretty good computer experience (hey, i'm even studying for bachelor in computer science), but this ati hdmi onkyo thing just kills me. I have tried alot of drivers. Almost all of the create a sound output device, and strangely all of them rename to something different (the one right now is calling it "Realtek HDA HDMI out"), but none of them work.. The receiver just says "No signal".

My setup:

Gigabyte HD4350 (with built in hdmi port, that is no dvi->hdmi adapter)

Onkyo 606 (using hdmi input 1)

Windows XP Pro 32

Thinking of installing windows vista ? maybe that would help...

·
Registered
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2wm /forum/post/15567532

Today I got my new speakers, the onkyo 606 receiver and a hd4350 graphics card. So I connected, but of course, no sound could be heard. Try to install all kind of different audio drivers, and at last, about after an hour the audio just started.

The problem is that later this evening when I wanted to listen again it's dead again and I just cant seem to get the audio over hdmi working what ever I do. The more I try, the more frustrated I get.

So please, if anyone could help me that would be extremely appreciated. I have pretty good computer experience (hey, i'm even studying for bachelor in computer science), but this ati hdmi onkyo thing just kills me. I have tried alot of drivers. Almost all of the create a sound output device, and strangely all of them rename to something different (the one right now is calling it "Realtek HDA HDMI out"), but none of them work.. The receiver just says "No signal".

My setup:

Gigabyte HD4350 (with built in hdmi port, that is no dvi->hdmi adapter)

Onkyo 606 (using hdmi input 1)

Windows XP Pro 32

Thinking of installing windows vista ? maybe that would help...

This is a quite common problem. You'll find quite a few threads on it if you search. In fact I just spent some time struggling with this same problem. I'd had it working with my old system then when I upgraded the board but kept the 4670 I had to start over again.

First off with the Onkyo you must have the input set to dvd. Why this is so I don't know, I just know that this is key. Next the only drivers that you need are the ati ones. No realtek hdmi or anything like that. That works for Vista not XP. I set up the system just connected to a monitor and ended installing the realtek drivers for the built in audio for some other reasons. Once I unistalled them XP popped up the found new hardware box and it was for ATI hdmi audio. I let it install then I was good to go.

good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just cleared all the drivers once again and installed catalyst 8.12 again.

When i switch to DVD (=hdmi 1 = ati card) on the receiver, the computerscreen blinks and catalyst recognizes the onkyo receiver:

The sound output device is also detected.

But it still says "No signal" on the receiver!! Unfortunetly I dont have any other device with hdmi, then the receiver, to try with :/

Argh.. what should I do if everything seems to be working, but just isn't ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could somebody please tell me something new I can try? I'm totally out of ideas... maybe I just should return this cr*ppy card ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have limited knowledge of using an HDMI setup, especially on newer Onkyo recievers. But here is my guess: On the reciever do you need to specify that the HDMI input is to use audio from the HDMI connection as well? Is it possible that the reciever is accepting the video feed through HDMI but looking at another source for audio?

·
Registered
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxam /forum/post/15574192

Your fix/workaround is located HERE

It's the only way that I could get audio out of my Onkyo 806 with an ATI X1250.

M

The problem is that fix is for vista only. I'm pretty much at a lose now. Just make sure i'ts the default direct sound device and set your number of speakers. Keep playing around your close.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, don't count, too much, on that being the only challenge. I have a Onkyo 505 and finally got it setup with mt HTPC and my Comcast DVR, but then the DVR broke!! Seems when you turn off the Onkyo and on again you break the handsheak, or something and it jams the DVR, for good!! You have to get another DVR from Comcast. It took me 3 mos to figure this out. Comcast never has. Cost $39 every time they come out and they know nothing.

So, I can't use all the HDMI connections I have, but rather Component Video only. I have read post here of the Onkyo 606 having the same issue. Actually, that was how I figured out the issue.

So, getting it to connect is just the first step. No telling what else is out there. I spent a lot of time and money on HDMI only to find out it is impossible for me at this time.

Bob

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I don't have any of these problems. I have a 605 and a 606.

The 605 connections are as follows:

HDMI1 - HTPC as DVD/Optical 1 audio

HDMI2 - DVR as CBL/Optical 2 audio

Comp1 - Wii as VCR

Comp2 - Xbox as Game

The 606 connections are identical, except there is no Wii hooked up. Other than that it's exactly the same.

The 605 is connected to a TH-42px75U Panasonic plasma and the 606 is connected to a TH-50PX77U.

Both work just fine. The only time I lose audio is when I remote desktop in to the machine and don't log off prior to watching a movie or listening to music. I have to reboot if I do that. It's generally no big deal, since I don't use the HTPC for anything else and don't remote in very often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts