AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before anyone starts flaming and getting all upset this bug is only at 800x600 only. Yes it has been confirmed with ati and yes many other people have this problem if not almost all ati radeon 8500 owners. I don't know about 7500 or other series but almost all 8500 owners more than likely have this bug.

please visit this thread I started a while back to see more info and see others wit the same problem
Rage3D thread on bad tv out

OK here is the sum of it. At 800x600 there is an odd filter over the screen that is completely stationary and makes everything look washed out and almost like a paper effect was applied in photoshop. You scroll down a web page and see these splotches stay in the same spot. The splotches show up the most on darker screens especially Grey colored areas.

Now at other resolutions it is not there....

Right now I am using a custom resolution of 720x576 to get the best possible resolution and image quality. It does not matter what driver set, os, TV, cable, system, or setup you have it is there at all times. but know there are some people who will want to know so I will list my setup later.

I also notice a lot of people didn't even realize it was there until they read my thread and compared to other resolutions.

I originally started building my htpc a but two years ago, and have used every card except for an ati card. Everyone kept telling me ati is the best for TV out ati is the best for TV out. Figures I would ed up getting the first card with botched TV out lol. Please dont get me wrong am not saying this card is absolutely horrible or anything...I love it, liked it so much I bout a second card both to try a newer version at 800x600 (bug was still there though) and install ina second machine. I have been completely satisfied wit this card all around except for the problems with the TV out.

One other problem I have noticed is that a lot of solid colors tend to almost have a checkerboard/pixelated effect to them..... anyone else notice this? This occurs at any resolution not horrible but noticeable.

Anyway does anyone know of a fix for this yet, bios flash, component adjustments or replacement etc?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah on that rage 3d tread read on as The_guardian finally compares to another resolution and finally sees the bug at 800x600 lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm kinda new here also but not many people here use the tv out. Most here use the video out to a projector or HDTV. These units either have the VGA connector or they go thru a transcoder to the component in.

Sorry I am unable to help. I use to use a s-video in to a 27" TV until I got fed up being stuck at such a low resolution and unable to read anything.

Mike

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the feeling I would love to be able to et a better TV. Was looking at this one rca one it was their multimedia model that had the db15 in and a usb hub bult in to it but just cant afford it right now lol. one day...one day...

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Nintari:

___Sorry to tell you but mikemunday is right. TV-output from any S-Video output chipset is way below what anyone is used to using here. You may think that you are doing an 800x600 res but in actuality, your S-Video chipset is placing an appropriately sized 800x600 AR in a 240 or 480i signal. Most here deal with 480p on up and rightfully so since these low resolution TV output chips are a poor solutions at best coming from VC’s that are capable of so much more …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I noticed a similar problem with my Radeon AIW. The problem went away with 16-bit color as opposed to 32-bit.

Mark

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I had my fater in laws tv lol He has some panasonic model that is a hdtv 42" tube. I found the component cables to go from te db15 at a place called copper box.

Is there anyway to get any better other than gettign a better tv?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.