AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new video card to connect my HTPC to my new Pioneer VSX-919. I game a lot on my HTPC.

Can the new Geforce GTX 275 do the same type of HDMI audio pass-through as the Radeon 4890?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any recommendations on where to get a quiet Radeon 4890. I read that the Saphire Vapor X with HDMI, DIsplayport, VGA and DVI is relatively quiet.

Any other ideas?

For high def movies, bluray and HDDVD will the GTX275 do anything the 2890 cant?

·
Registered
526 Posts
My decision was to go with the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X Radeon HD 4890. I agree with the reviews that it is a quiet video card. I am a light gamer and was more interested in BD playback. There is an Overclock version available oriented more towards gaming. Everything I am reading says the 2GB versions are unnecessary. No matter what video card you chose, if you want high def audio then you'll need something like the ASUS Xonar Slim card (standard PCI card).

The video card and audio card are working perfectly for me. It did take some fiddling around with the various control panels. But, once set, I have enjoyed BD and sDVD playback without a hitch.

note: Do not even try to use this card with less than a 650 watt PS. Mine is 1000 watts. The manual (found only on the driver disk) is pretty useless. Make sure you connect TWO power supply cables to the card.

marcus

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot /forum/post/17007096

note: Do not even try to use this card with less than a 650 watt PS. Mine is 1000 watts. The manual (found only on the driver disk) is pretty useless. Make sure you connect TWO power supply cables to the card.

Source? I've read it needs a 500W power supply.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like bitstreaming is never going to work through a video card; if this thread is true: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171317

All of my blurays are stored as MKV so I don't think bitstreaming is much of an issue to me anyway. The Pioneer VSX919 is my first AVR, can anyone tell me if it has any audio pass-through issues with ATI or Nvidia cards?

Tough call though... The nvidia card is faster at Left for Dead (and most other games) but the ATI card has 7.1 audio and display port. Also the performance difference between these cards is only about 5% in most games.

Canadian pricing:

MSI N275GTX Twin Frozr OC:

$225 plus $20 MIR
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X Radeon HD 4890:

$215

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 /forum/post/17008177

Source? I've read it needs a 500W power supply.
Here :

Typically the total power consumption of your system will be this chart: idle 208W, load 287W). So a 400W-600W PSU should be enough.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch /forum/post/17009094

The Pioneer VSX919 is my first AVR, can anyone tell me if it has any audio pass-through issues with ATI or Nvidia cards?

Pass-through what audio format from where to where?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.