AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased the Sony VPLHW40ES 3D projector. My issue is I'm unable to get 3D working using my HTPC and KODI however 3D works perfectly on my Xbox one.
Here are my components.
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V373
Video Card: Radeon HD 5670
HTPC running windows 8.1

I've read in a few posts that the 5000 series radeon cards do NOT support 3D and other sources/posts claim that they DO support 3D. I've also tried to use 3d with stereoscopic player and VLC media player with zero luck. I'm thinking it's the video card but the ATI website says my video card supports 3D. Any thoughts before I decide to shell out 100 bucks for a new video card? Also, If I have to get a new video card, any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Originally HD 5000 series cards did not support 3D (3D BD, MVC, HDMI frame-packing output), however later on AMD "retconned" this into the drivers for most HD 5xxx cards. Therefore if you have the latest drivers it should work. I have a 5670 in a PC myself...I can give it a try on a 3D display, if you want--see if I can get mine to work..

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Kodi doesn't support frame packed 3D, neither does stereoscopic player. SBS or over under can be played with Kodi with no issue and any 1.3 HDMI card capable of 1080p. What kind of 3D are you trying to play?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally HD 5000 series cards did not support 3D (3D BD, MVC, HDMI frame-packing output), however later on AMD "retconned" this into the drivers for most HD 5xxx cards. Therefore if you have the latest drivers it should work. I have a 5670 in a PC myself...I can give it a try on a 3D display, if you want--see if I can get mine to work..
I updated the drivers and was able to get 3D to "kinda" work. I've been most successful with steroscopic player, however the results are not as good as the 3D bluray playing on xbox one. I played avatar as my example on the xbox, then i tried playing an mkv version of avatar on my HTPC with moderate success ( more cross talk/ghostng i think).

I have an iso version as well but it says I don't have a blu ray player that supports 3D and I can't get it to play.

So pretty much I'm using MKV's that are HSBS mostly and also some ISO files.

I'm thinking about buying the Radeon R7 260x tomorrow as I've heard good things.

Any thought's On settings or programs to use?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kodi doesn't support frame packed 3D, neither does stereoscopic player. SBS or over under can be played with Kodi with no issue and any 1.3 HDMI card capable of 1080p. What kind of 3D are you trying to play?
With Kodi I try to play an MKV HSBS file but it comes in as a split screen. How do i make the files converge?

I'm assuming the iso images that i try to mount/load are frame packed 3D?

Thanks for the quick replies!!! :)

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
With Kodi I try to play an MKV HSBS file but it comes in as a split screen. How do i make the files converge?

I'm assuming the iso images that i try to mount/load are frame packed 3D?

Thanks for the quick replies!!! :)
Play it back as side by side then change the 3D setting in the projector to side by side and let the projector converge the images and activate the glasses.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well I tried out my PC with the 5670 in it with a 3D TV. Updated it to Cat 14.12 Omega as well, while I was at it (as it was on 14.9). But no dice on 3D BD. First off MVC decode does not work, DXVA is off and it's definitely software decoding. Even if Redwood can somehow do MVC, PDVD won't do it. Says something like DXVA mode 0 "unknown" and therefore DXVA is off. Side note: A64 x2 5600+ (2.9Ghz) apparently can't handle an MVC decode lol--once it goes over about 50Mbps it's stutter city.

On 14.9 I couldn't get frame-packing 3D to even engage--just seemed to do nothing. On [driver] 14.12 PDVD seems to think the card can do 3D because once I click it, it tells me my card can only do 3D in "full-screen mode only". I agree to that BUT it merely changes to 1080p/24 and does not actually output 3D. Tried fiddling with a few things in both PDVD and CCC and can't get frame-packing (HDMI 1.4) output from it no matter what. Just does not work. Mine is an XFX 5670 1GB BTW.

Stuff like SBS and O/U should work but if you need frame-packing and/or MVC, you're in for an upgrade it looks like.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I tried out my PC with the 5670 in it with a 3D TV. Updated it to Cat 14.12 Omega as well, while I was at it (as it was on 14.9). But no dice on 3D BD. First off MVC decode does not work, DXVA is off and it's definitely software decoding. Even if Redwood can somehow do MVC, PDVD won't do it. Says something like DXVA mode 0 "unknown" and therefore DXVA is off. Side note: A64 x2 5600+ (2.9Ghz) apparently can't handle an MVC decode lol--once it goes over about 50Mbps it's stutter city.

On 14.9 I couldn't get frame-packing 3D to even engage--just seemed to do nothing. On [driver] 14.12 PDVD seems to think the card can do 3D because once I click it, it tells me my card can only do 3D in "full-screen mode only". I agree to that BUT it merely changes to 1080p/24 and does not actually output 3D. Tried fiddling with a few things in both PDVD and CCC and can't get frame-packing (HDMI 1.4) output from it no matter what. Just does not work. Mine is an XFX 5670 1GB BTW.

Stuff like SBS and O/U should work but if you need frame-packing and/or MVC, you're in for an upgrade it looks like.
Thanks for trying for me. I ended up buying a new card based on your advice.

SO I bought a new video card, the Geforce gtx750.

I enabled stereoscopic 3D mode in the Nvidia control panel and the 3D kinda works now, but everything in motion and all the 3D effects are blurry. Its extremely fatiguing. I've tried cyber power dvd 14, Total Media Theater 6, and steroscopic player all with the same results (blurry 3D motion/effets). Any Idea where I go from here?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for trying for me. I ended up buying a new card based on your advice.

SO I bought a new video card, the Geforce gtx750.

I enabled stereoscopic 3D mode in the Nvidia control panel and the 3D kinda works now, but everything in motion and all the 3D effects are blurry. Its extremely fatiguing. I've tried cyber power dvd 14, Total Media Theater 6, and steroscopic player all with the same results (blurry 3D motion/effets). Any Idea where I go from here?
I'm no expert with 3d materials but I remember 3D when on is blurry (but is fine behind 3d glasses). This is what I remembered last year when testing 3D using AMD HD5770/Power DVD with my Sony HW55ES projector.

From what I remember you got to make sure 1. the right 3d format is selected on the projector ; 2. 3d is turn on in Power DVD (there may be a few other simple settings) ; 3. 3d glasses is on with( + good level of battery).

Not sure if you're supposed to enable stereoscopic 3D mode. I thought 'stereoscopic' are earlier version of 3D....

Good luck :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Don't mean to alarm you, but I remember another poster reporting blurry 3D effects (especially with negative parallax/pop-outs) that turned out to be due to a problem with their vision (astigmatism, IIRC).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts