·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the best currently available combo for HTPC use for the following:

1. PC Gameplay on an HDTV

2. DVD Playback using PowerDVD

3. Single HTPC video output to HDTV

ARE THE ATI DRIVERS FOR WIN98SE AND XP MATURE, COMPATIBLE AND STABLE?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
ok I think this will be a good setup but, Hipix is hard to get (again) and 8500 has one driver bug(gamma) that is keeping it from being recomended on this forum.

as far as stable drivers I have not had a problem with drivers since jan/feb beta drivers ... all of the drivers from 6025 have been rock solid for me and in my games. I know that early drivers gave many artifects and some games still might be afected (aliensvsPreditor2). Also when you say output to HDTV please specify RPTV or projector. Also you will find much better success with theatreTek for dvd playback as it will use the filters and not be as afected by driver changes as was seen with pdvd recently.

I could be wrong on some of this and this is just my opinion from reading these forums and using the products. I am sure any mistakes I might have made will be pointed out to me.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John: thank you very very much for your help and opinion on this!!!

I already have a HiPix so I'm set there. I have a Pioneer 64HD5 HD RPTV that I'll be using this on.

Thanks for the tip on the TheaterTek instead of the PowerDVD. Where can I get it and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
151 Posts
here is a great place to shop for HTPC stuff...

www.digitalconnection.com

... I don't think I have ever seen a complaint about them anywhere on this forum ... in fact they have been known to go above and beyond to help people in this forum.

I believe it is $69 or something like that... Also before you buy you might want to do a quick search on the software here and see some of the other posts on it.

now on to your RPTV,

The following is my own opinion so you may not agree(or anyone else reading).

I believe that ati will have a dongle for the 8500 out soon that will let you connect to your tv via component out. This would remove the need for a component transcoder and make connecting to an RPTV or DirectviewTV. I myself do not enjoy fiddleing with powerstrip and trying to get the overscan adjusted I would like to just hook it up and get my full desktop on my tv with out worrying to much... Now ATI has said that the Dongle WILL NOT ALLOW COPYWRIGHTED DVDS to playback at anything above 480p .... that does not mean someone won't find away to "patch" thier drivers to allow this or you might be able to rip the dvds and remove the copy protections... I don't know... or you may never be able to circumvent it. However I am willing to take that chance and go for the ease of use that it promises.

Good luck

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, I've bought a few things(HiPix & AA1177) from Cliff at Digital Connection and I have been very happy with the service. Guess I'll buy TT and a new black DVD-Rom from them sometime today.

As for the ATI, I may be able to pass the signal through my HiPix using the VGA loop through cable which comes with the HiPix. If so, my TV already accepts and shows its' output up to 1080i on my HDTV using its' VGA/RGB input. I don't think that the HiPix will upconvert the signal from the ATI but instead just pass it through... who knows if it will work.

BTW, I just got back from buying a Radeon 8500 card... guess I'll find out soon. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.