AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used their Radeon 9550 SVideo output?

I have the MSI version of this card (uses the ATI chip set) and am having problems getting my projector a signal. Seems nothing is leaving the card, is anyone aware of a switch in the software or the actual card that needs to be set so a signal will leave the card through the SVideo port?

Any information or experience with this card would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
S-video will give you a maximum of 480i resolution.

That's not good enough if you're using a high definition display.

For a high def projector use either a VGA connection, HDMI or DVI. There's a component connection but you'll need a component dongle.

You'll need to get the resolution of the projector to match the output of the videocard and the refresh rate to match as well or else there's no picture.

There are drivers in the ATI catalyst conrol center and the refresh rate is generally 60 hertz.

If it's a custom resolution you'll need powerstrip. You can paste custom resolutions into powerstrip if need be.There's a sticky thread that can help you with custom resolutions.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core /forum/post/0

Has anyone used their Radeon 9550 SVideo output?

I have the MSI version of this card (uses the ATI chip set) and am having problems getting my projector a signal. Seems nothing is leaving the card, is anyone aware of a switch in the software or the actual card that needs to be set so a signal will leave the card through the SVideo port?

Any information or experience with this card would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

The problem is probably because your PC desktop resolution is set too high.

Most S-Video scan converter chips only handle a maximum desktop resolution of 800x600 although some will handle 1024x768 when converting the output to 480i.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ian, thanks for the suggestion. I am using a HD70 and the VGA connection works great, wanted to continue using my VGA for my regular monitor, thought I would use the SVideo for the projector. Dropped my res to 800x600 and hertz at 60 but no luck, still no signal on SVideo. Card also has a DVI, and I have a dongle to switch to a VGA, unable to get a signal with the dongle as well(dont have a DVI cable at this time). Maybe I will have to employee a VGA switch to change from regular monitor to projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fleet /forum/post/0

S-video will give you a maximum of 480i resolution.

That's not good enough if you're using a high definition display.

For a high def projector use either a VGA connection, HDMI or DVI. There's a component connection but you'll need a component dongle.

You'll need to get the resolution of the projector to match the output of the videocard and the refresh rate to match as well or else there's no picture.

There are drivers in the ATI catalyst conrol center and the refresh rate is generally 60 hertz.

If it's a custom resolution you'll need powerstrip. You can paste custom resolutions into powerstrip if need be.There's a sticky thread that can help you with custom resolutions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but didnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/0

The problem is probably because your PC desktop resolution is set too high.

Most S-Video scan converter chips only handle a maximum desktop resolution of 800x600 although some will handle 1024x768 when converting the output to 480i.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.