AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with my Samsung DLP and am unable to change the screen resolution (it is 800 x 600). The monitor DDC info recognizes the samsung DLP and has the reported max resolution as 1280 x 720, however I am not able to change the attributes to this size. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, I am using SageTV and it is great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the ATI 9700 and samsung DLP 507 and it does not need powerstrip to display the samsung's native resolution. The 9700 came with a driver that supported 720 without the need of powerstrip. I will check again tonight to confirm this. Make sure you have the latest drivers from ATI.

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Powerstrip worked great (thanks eggz for your detailed instructions). I did try to reload the drivers for the 9700 Pro, but no luck (thanks MGD for your help)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
IIRC. You do not need Powerstrip. However you do need to install both the drivers AND the control panel. Once you do that, the resolution will show up as an option.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
878 Posts
Does that combination, ATI Radeon and Samsung DLP, give 1:1 pixel mapping at 1280x720? I am using an old video card with just a VGA output, and the best I can do on the Samsung is 1280x768. I think it is a limitation in the video card, or the fact that I am not using DVI. I am using Powerstrip to add the custom resolution, but it is not one of the available resolutions after I reboot.

Brian

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yes on the 1:1

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tivolicious, are you saying that 1280x720p is a default resolution for teh ATI 9700? I got a Dell with the 9700TX and I didn't see it as a default. I tried the registry route but there is no such key as in the earlier ATI cards. Hmm, maybe I should download the latest ATI driver and control panel for the 9700/9700 PRO and try it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DueN
Tivolicious, are you saying that 1280x720p is a default resolution for teh ATI 9700? I got a Dell with the 9700TX and I didn't see it as a default. I tried the registry route but there is no such key as in the earlier ATI cards. Hmm, maybe I should download the latest ATI driver and control panel for the 9700/9700 PRO and try it.
Yes, I was able (after downloading the drivers AND the control panel) to get 1280x720 without Powerstrip. I should say that I was using a 9500. However, that really shouldn't matter. Let us know if that works for you. It really should.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok, I downloaded the latest driver and control panel for the 9700/9700 PROfrom the ATI website. After installing the new driver, the 1280x720 option showed up. Cool! :) I didn't have to install the new control panel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank god for this thread. However, I was wondering if you guys could help.

I have a HLN4365W and a 9700TX (from Dell). I hooked it up through the DVI IO after installing the latest drivers and control panel for the card.

I'm still getting 800x600 with no option to push it up to the Samsung's native resolution.

However, when I look at the specs for the "display" on the ATI control panel (the display tab) it notes that the display resolution is 800x600 and that it is capable of a max resolution of 1280x720.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
DueN,

Just out of curiousity, what sound card are you using and how is it connected to your receiver? I did a test with my Samsung this weekend and really liked the results so I'm debating going the HTPC route.

I'd also be interested in knowing your DVD drive model and what software you're using to play the movies. I had some stutter on my test with just using the ATI DVD software. I was also unable to get 16:9 full picture but I only screwed around with it for a few hours.

Quote:
Ok, I downloaded the latest driver and control panel for the 9700/9700 PROfrom the ATI website. After installing the new driver, the 1280x720 option showed up. Cool! :) I didn't have to install the new control panel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tivolicious,

I tried your solution and Powerstrip and niether work for me. I have a Sapphire 9500 128MB. After reinstalling the driver and control panel I can see 1280 x 720, but when I try to pick it I get an error message stating I don't have admin rights to do it. I'm logged on as the admin!! I probably have a different issue...

Did you hook via DVI, RGB, or Component?

Thing that irritates me is the fact I have a two year old NVIDIA MX 32MB card in there and it supported this just fine via RGB!!!

SMON

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the ATI 9700TX and the Samsung DLP. I have no problem setting the resolution to 1280x720 using either DVI or VGA. I experimented and found out that I didn't need the latest drivers. I used the default drivers in XP and it worked for me as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
I have the ATI 9700TX and the Samsung DLP. I have no problem setting the resolution to 1280x720 using either DVI or VGA. I experimented and found out that I didn't need the latest drivers. I used the default drivers in XP and it worked for me as well.
When you veiw the "monitor type" under the advanced setting tab what is the type? For my set I can only get "default monitor", not plug-n-play..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smon
When you veiw the "monitor type" under the advanced setting tab what is the type? For my set I can only get "default monitor", not plug-n-play..
I installed the monitor .inf file for the Sony FW-900. I also had to install the latest drivers for my video card, the nVidia GeForce 256. Now I am getting 1280x720 resolution in the Windows display properties, without the need for PowerStrip.

To change the monitor setup, I went into the hardware manager and deleted the monitor. It actually showed up as "Samsung DLP". :) Then I used the same program to search for new hardware. When it found the plug and play monitor, I hit the Have Disk button and gave it the directory with the Sony .inf file.

I think with the plug & play monitor settings, 1024x768 was not an available resolution. It is an option with the Sony settings. I wanted that resolution in order to run a game in 4:3 full screen.

Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, still having an issue with the Sapphire 9500. I wiped the box and started over to no avail! I can see the 1280 x 720 setting, but when I pick it I get an error stating I don't have administrator permissions to make the change. I'm logged on as the administrator. Sapphire technologies tech support is worthless!!!

Anyone have any ideas? I think the card is bad....

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smon
Well, still having an issue with the Sapphire 9500. I wiped the box and started over to no avail! I can see the 1280 x 720 setting, but when I pick it I get an error stating I don't have administrator permissions to make the change. I'm logged on as the administrator. Sapphire technologies tech support is worthless!!!

Anyone have any ideas? I think the card is bad....
Are you having any luck yet? Actually, I was still playing around with PowerStrip and I never uninstalled it. I wonder if it played a role in configuring 1280x720 resolution in the Windows registry. Maybe someone with an ATI card can confirm that they were able to choose that resolution on a machine on which PowerStrip was never installed.

I was considering getting a Sapphire card when I build a new HTPC in the near future. Based on their lack of support, maybe it would be better to get a "built by ATI" card.

Brian

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had no problem with my AIW 7500 and my Samsung 507W. I just hooked up the DVI connection and was presented with the 1280x720 option. It's the only thing that worked easily with the HTPC experiment. I never installed Powerstrip if that helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.