AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month, since I started using my new HTPC, I was getting odd performance problems that were not on my older, slower computer. Most were display problems, but both computers had the same video card, the Radeon 9700 pro.

On my new HTPC, I could NOT get VMR9 to run in Zoomplayer. When I tried, I would get a lockup that would force a hard reboot.

On my new HTPC, I could not get smooth WM9 to play on anything but Windows Media Player.

Other lockups on the HTPC included trying to use HDTV2MPEG. I would too often get a lockup when I added a .tp file to the list. Theatertek would also lockup.

So today, I looked closely at the ATI settings and Powerstrip. The first thing I noticed in Powerstrip's Adapter info is that the HTPC had transfer mechanism disabled (no DMA) and that no system memory was being used. A simple thing to check, really, and my old computer had both available.

It turns out that (for some reason) the Smartgart in my video setting had fastwrite turned off. Simply turning that on, and then rebooting solved all problems. DMA was activated, and now the card has system memory available.

Best of all, I can now use Theatertek. HDTV2MPEG doesn't lockup. I can play WM9 files in ZP. As an added bonus, I can also play HDTV (.tp .ts) files in WinDVD player (much more robust that MyHD player).

So... if you have ATI Radeon, and your computer supports fastwrite, by all means use it. I don't think I have ever done something so simple that fixed so many problems.

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
Smartgart is a scurge on humanity and computers alike! It's a poorly implemented addition to the drivers. I wish they would banish it back to the nether-regions whence it came!

Yes, I'd like to think I have a flair for the dramatic.:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 7500 and I am having problems turning fastwrite ON. I have AGP fastwrite enabled in BIOS. I click fastwite on in the Smartgart tab, I get prompted to reboot for the settings to take effect. I reboot and fastwrite is in the OFF position when I go back into Smartgart. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really sure, but the video card does a "test" upon reboot for potential system instability with fastwrite when the computer reboots. If it fails the test, fastwrite is left off.

As to why a computer would "fail", I don't know. It sounds like your motherboard and bios support fastwrite, else you wouldn't have that option in bios. Do you have current drivers?

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
This is a common problem, and why I hate smartgart.

Use Powerstrip- that's the only way I can figure to circumvent smartgart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jehremy
I have a 7500 and I am having problems turning fastwrite ON. I have AGP fastwrite enabled in BIOS. I click fastwite on in the Smartgart tab, I get prompted to reboot for the settings to take effect. I reboot and fastwrite is in the OFF position when I go back into Smartgart. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
I thought fast write wasn't support on the 7500 cards? I have an AIW7500 and that is what I read in another forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.